POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

In keeping with my stingyness of not supporting large manufactures greed just like my coffee machine tray I had to purchase new bottles for my soda stream.
Imaging my surprise when I got them home and found sodastream had changed their dimensions so they wouldnt fit my functioning machine.
The old size is the purple top. The new type is taller and slimmer.
ss1.jpg
No way was I paying for a new machine if I can alter the old one to fit the new bottles.
A little action with a rat tailed file and I opened out the base so I could slip the machine over the new bottle.
ss2.jpg
Only slightly more fiddly than the original method but so much cheaper, $0.00, my kind of price.
It worked. Take that soda stream.:face slap:

Today i stopped by friend of mine to get one of my spare rims welded. We were talking how when i got that set of rims its size 18" was considered very big. Now with cars on 20" rims from the factory they seem small. He did a good job welding it, there was some dirty aluminium that bubble up but he managed to weld it up from both sides. Now i'll have to clean it up and make it smooth. Now that the set is complete i may use it on my 607 for winter tires.
IMG_20221018_164406.jpg
IMG_20221018_164415.jpg

In keeping with my stingyness of not supporting large manufactures greed just like my coffee machine tray I had to purchase new bottles for my soda stream.
Imaging my surprise when I got them home and found sodastream had changed their dimensions so they wouldnt fit my functioning machine.
View attachment 425604
No way was I paying for a new machine if I can alter the old one to fit the new bottles.
A little action with a rat tailed file and I opened out the base so I could slip the machine over the new bottle.
View attachment 425605
Only slightly more fiddly than the original method but so much cheaper, $0.00, my kind of price.
Maybe machine yourself a “spacer” to raise the soda machine so your new bottles will fit in without having to lift up the soda machine?

Or do the new bottles fit in “as is”?

Or! an air over hydraulic, solar powered, bottle placement arm, yah, that's the ticket. Cheers, Mike

ss2.jpg

It worked. Take that soda stream.

Today i stopped by friend of mine to get one of my spare rims welded. We were talking how when i got that set of rims its size 18" was considered very big. Now with cars on 20" rims from the factory they seem small. He did a good job welding it, there was some dirty aluminium that bubble up but he managed to weld it up from both sides. Now i'll have to clean it up and make it smooth. Now that the set is complete i may use it on my 607 for winter tires.
View attachment 425579
View attachment 425580
Wonder what a DOT or DMV inspector would have to say about that?

Wonder what a DOT or DMV inspector would have to say about that?
Depends on the degree of original damage and quality of the weld.

Lots of specialty shops out there that repair bent/cracked Al rims. But they tend to follow a very detailed process. they don’t just scuff up the Al and go at it with a tig machine.

I’d be more concerned about the “dirty aluminum that bubble up” comment. That usually means the aluminum wasn’t thoroughly cleaned before welding and the “contaminants” that bubbled up could have made the weld porous, or possibly weakened.

If theres what looks like black flecks in the weld surface, its most likely a porous weld, and thus, suspect….

Last edited:
Was wondering how I was going to strip the paint off the fins on the FJ1200 engine without spending the next 3 weeks on it with a sanding block.

Then I remembered a family friend dumped a bunch of tools off when her husband passed away. I dug out this cheap little thing:

84E6AE48-B07D-4BE8-86B9-BAF37B358B3D.jpeg

And roughly 5 minutes later:

76BBAC90-1234-4CB0-9C1E-C41E631A918A.jpeg

They still need some fine work with a sanding block and some finer grits, but 5 mins is waaaaay better than a couple weeks of manual labor.

When done, I said a little “thanks Shawn” to myself under my breath to my passed on friend….

View attachment 425604
View attachment 425605
Nice fix. It won't be that easy for me if I drop the glass bottles as the mechanism on my SodaStream is different:

SodaStream Bottle.JPG

Why is it different? Well . . .

SS Penguin.JPG

My wife & daughter got him for me many years ago when my daughter worked for Williams-Sonoma – they said he begged them to buy him for me.

Assembly begins:

E3DCC5FB-A179-434C-8CE1-67024219D3A8.jpeg

Scratched the new frame paint in a couple places, but thats par for the course when the frame wraps so tightly around the engine everywhere. A little paint touch up and no one will ever know.

The objective is to get it back together as a roller. I need the space to put the wife’s mini cooper in the heated shop over winter so I can change the timing chain and valve seals…

Last edited:
Back