POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Wonder what a DOT or DMV inspector would have to say about that?
No DOT or DMV here. Is the wild west when it comes to safety here. I keep my cars to be safe but what is coming from the other side is questionable. Roads are bad so broken and welded rims are common. Here is a picture of typical car rim from here, if you think i'm kidding i've gotten that picture from the local buy/sell site. I'll leave the link below.
f2acc032-3a8f-4938-9b5a-676458d5eab6.jpg

Took apart and cleaned the back gear on my SB heavy 10. It was packed with grease and quite stiff but it did move. After cleaning out the grease and reassembling with spindle oil It will free spin easily now…

kinda satisfying

No DOT or DMV here. Is the wild west when it comes to safety here. I keep my cars to be safe but what is coming from the other side is questionable. Roads are bad so broken and welded rims are common. Here is a picture of typical car rim from here, if you think i'm kidding i've gotten that picture from the local buy/sell site. I'll leave the link below.
View attachment 425677
Wow, you couldn’t pay me to run those on any of my vehicles….on or off road.

Those welds are crap! The brown/black marks around each weld indicates they’re contaminated (improper cleaning, oxygen intrusion, poor ac cleaning settings, etc) and they are standing so proud of the surface it’s unlikely they have any appreciable penetration at all….probably could have done just as good a job by smearing jb-weld all over them.

Last edited:
2A25A656-CB19-4019-91A9-19C8755F0D64.jpegC7B4A119-02A2-485C-95F2-7C45959A0B83.jpeg
decided to get into the gearbox and clean it. There is way less crap in there than I expected but it does have some hardened oil that is currently soaking under some kerosene soaked rags. That apron is next and then this guy is going to get mounted in his permanent home and get power.

Depends on the degree of original damage and quality of the weld.

Lots of specialty shops out there that repair bent/cracked Al rims. But they tend to follow a very detailed process. they don’t just scuff up the Al and go at it with a tig machine.

I’d be more concerned about the “dirty aluminum that bubble up” comment. That usually means the aluminum wasn’t thoroughly cleaned before welding and the “contaminants” that bubbled up could have made the weld porous, or possibly weakened.

If theres what looks like black flecks in the weld surface, its most likely a porous weld, and thus, suspect….
No repair shop around here would even think of touching a repair job like that for fear of liability issues down the road.
Just sayin!

Are those rims used with those low section "steamroller" type tires ?
If so, that's why they suffer so much damage - I have a hard time imagining how those tires and rims handle any road roughness at all.
They just don't seem to be designed for the real world.

I finished up a tortilla press I’ve been working on. Other than fasteners, bronze bushings, and cam handle, all made from recycled material from [mention]mmcmdl [/mention]. Uses an eccentric hinge point to adjust thickness.
c393c9d1794e537c116a66ab08ad8005.jpg

Whatcha making there Jason ? :grin:

I used to have a couple Noga deburring tools, but one that was plastic broke and the other one just plain got lost, I guess…it’s been missing for a week. So rather than buy another plastic blade holder, I still have a package of blades. Obviously I need to make a holder to use up those blades. The blades have a reduced diameter notch that they are captured by yet can still rotate freely. The handle was a scrap 1/2” stainless rod, drilled a 1/8” hole in the end for the blade shank, and used a short 3/32” dowel pin offset just the right amount from center, pressed it in and bingo, it’s about a perfect tool. Eventually the pin can be pressed out/in to change blades.

20F83247-1583-4D5C-9BD9-DD69BA9B779C.jpeg

Back