POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Some nice work on all the above projects. I spent most of the day shoveling snow, and working on the backhoe, because I had failed to get winter fuel in it soon enough. bathing in diesel fuel is always such a joy. Mike

Today is a holiday in my country, that means i have the day off. So i decided to start an overdue project, make some shelving and a stand for the corner where the fiat 600 used to lay. Before i start doing anything i need to clear out everything, that was lots of work. but one by one i managed to get it done, i also moved the tubing from the car trailer i cut apart combined with some new tubing i bought should be enough. Lots of work in a short amount of time, my hands feel 5 sm longer.
IMG_20221124_132911.jpgIMG_20221124_133150.jpgIMG_20221126_134522.jpgIMG_20221126_134527.jpgIMG_20221126_134533.jpg

Got into work this morning and had to do a bit of scribing. Well it seems that my scribe grew legs and wandered off. So made myself a new one. I used a busted 1/16” carbide endmill for the tip.
4c07e9161af2166a4fcd4ebb69f9599a.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Got into work this morning and had to do a bit of scribing. Well it seems that my scribe grew legs and wandered off. So made myself a new one. I used a busted 1/16” carbide endmill for the tip.

What did you use to grind the carbide tip?

We have an 8” bench grinder with the green wheel for carbide. I just free handed it. Once the lock tite cures I will chuck it back up in the lathe and give it a go with a Diamond hone to get it evened out.

Cutting oil is my blood.

... because I had failed to get winter fuel in it soon enough. bathing in diesel fuel is always such a joy. Mike
No fun!

Had fuel gel up in a tractor a few years back. Had added anti-gel to the tank, but failed to notice the tank was really two tanks connected with two hoses! Fluid never made it to the other tank. No heat in the garage at that time... not a fun problem.

I just started running number 1 early in the fall, and adding anti-gel year around. Not sure if wear will be worse on these common rail engines with the #1 in warmer weather. My guess is not, but I think the old mechanical pump units wouldn't like it tho. Even if it's harder on the pump, it's worth it when we get those 10F degree cold snaps early. Sort of don't have a choice around here.

Today after work i got straight to making the shelving in the big garage, i did get some help from a relative. He is much younger and not that long ago learn to weld but hasn't practiced much mig welding, manly arc welding. For the shelfs i used the sides from the car trailer i cut apart just welded some new small tubing for legs and used round tubing on the top to make a tire rack then came time for the stool for the water container, it holds a tone so it needs to be strong, i used the thick tubing and made it with 5 legs, also ankerd it and the shelves to the wall and the floor. Last job was to paint all the shiny metal tubing and weld joints, i don't care about all the different colors but i don't want to see rust. It was much easier with two people and my relative did most of the welding he did learn a lot and the shelving got welded on every joint on every side just to practice.
IMG_20221128_205503.jpgIMG_20221128_205513.jpg

What do you use the water container for?

Back