POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

New insert, tool on center, compound set to 29.5 or as close as I can tell.

The SC 9A index marks are on the back side and a real PITA to see.

I just tried again w/the next higher speed, 740 rpm, and it seemed to work better. Got a free spinning nut on a fine 1/2" thread, still too loose though with .045 total DOC on then compound.

Will try again and stop at .040 and see how it works out this time
Also

Max major diameter is 0.4985" so if you raise burrs, just run a file, or take a very thin cut to bring the OD to size.

New insert, tool on center, compound set to 29.5 or as close as I can tell.

The SC 9A index marks are on the back side and a real PITA to see.

I just tried again w/the next higher speed, 740 rpm, and it seemed to work better. Got a free spinning nut on a fine 1/2" thread, still too loose though with .045 total DOC on then compound.

Will try again and stop at .040 and see how it works out this time
Also
Try 0.035" and sneak up from there. Think 0.040 is too deep.

Where did this .4985 OD come from?
Is there a chart that lists the OD's for each size mat'l?

This last attempt came in at a hair under that but yielded a much better fit. A new castle nut spins right on, all the way but a "top'loc" nut only goes so far like it is supposed to.

I'm a happy camper now, Gonna try to make it a bit better though!!

Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

Attachments

• DSCN9100.JPG
    DSCN9100.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 10
Where did this .4985 OD come from?
Is there a chart that lists the OD's for each size mat'l?
Yes, there is a chart. There are lots of them. Machinery's Handbook has them. You can pick up an old edition for very little money, like $20. Or if I am lazy, I use https://www.engineersedge.com/screw_threads_chart.htm

Most people cut class 2 threads. To accurately measure thread pitch, you can use thread wires, and a micrometer, or you can buy a fancy thread micrometer. I use wires if I am trying to make an accurate thread, but most often, I just fit a nut. The right way is to use the thread wires, then you know the thread is to spec.

Did you use a fishtail gauge to set the tool bit angle to the rod?
Personally I dont bother with all that 29.5 degrees I go in at 90' and have never had a problem up to and including M3 threads.
Honed very sharp HSS tool bit

Don't have a fishtail gage, suppose I should get one though.
Cross slide was at 90*, compound at 29.5

Played with it some mire this afternoon and got a nice snug fit, took a few "spring" cuts and had to go a little under the .4985"

Personally I dont bother with all that 29.5 degrees I go in at 90' and have never had a problem
Same here. 90deg has worked for all the single point threads I have done. Might no optimize tool life but then I don't run a production shop where I have to maximize tool life as part of maximizing profits.

Same here. 90deg has worked for all the single point threads I have done. Might no optimize tool life but then I don't run a production shop where I have to maximize tool life as part of maximizing profits.
compound vs cross slide is a religious type of argument. some do one, others do the other. Both work, I've done both, I prefer compound because I back off on the cross slide and come back to zero. So I know where my compound is and needs to go .. It sets depth while my crossslide allows me to set cut, and retract to come back.

Simple project, but not just making more parts for my tools! Adapter from a Milwaukee M12 cordless shop vac to my inflatable kayak. The vac has a non-standard hose size, the kayak has a weird one-third turn captive taper hose end.

Turned a cone out of aluminum to match the vac hose, used boiling water to flare some thin-wall 1” PVC pipe over it, cut the kayak side from 1/2” schedule 80 PVC, cut the retention slots with a dremel and router bit, glued everything together.

The shop vac static pressure on “high power” is almost exactly the target raft pressure, so just let er rip and shut it off when the sound changes. Can inflate the whole thing in less than three minutes no sweat vs maybe ten minutes of manual pumping.

Attachments

• E9892ED3-EB61-4053-8357-92FA6720D17B.jpeg
    E9892ED3-EB61-4053-8357-92FA6720D17B.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 29
  • D1941BCB-A6F6-4FBE-B47A-2B62C06DDC34.jpeg
    D1941BCB-A6F6-4FBE-B47A-2B62C06DDC34.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 27
Back