POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Did the tank have water in it? If so, you ought to inspect inside for corrosion. High pressure and a corroded tank is a disaster waiting to happen. Don't want to be a damper, you got a great score, but long term standing water in a steel pressure tank is not good at all. That's why regularly blowing down the tank is important, or getting a gizmo that does it automatically.
No water. All good on that front..

Made a couple of knobs to replace the original X axis locks. Everyone says they are awkward to use and will get broken off, etc. Me I say "oh no, I am careful, they aren't any trouble." I decided to replace them since I figured the knobs would be easier to use. When I took them off to replicate, one of them was bent somehow.

Attachments

• IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 29
Look into automatic drain systems. I added one that can be programmed for all kinds of operations...I set mine so that whenever the compressor comes on, it gives a 4 second drain cycle. And I put in a remote compressor switch, because the thing lives outside under a shed roof where it can make all the noise it wants.

The one they had at the local HomeDepot was 86.00... I will install a 5.00 valve for now... 10.00 when I added the elbow and 4" pipe...

Needed to support an upcoming project while working on it. I'll explain later, but I can't put a center on it, so I came up with another method.
I made my own center that will work off a feature on the project. I will put it in the tailstock chuck to hold, and hopefully,
I created a radius tool, and need to add a part off and facing to that radius tool to be able to do 3 operations with one op. Or do multiple tool changes, and have to flip all the parts and face, and chamfer

20220309_181412.jpg20220309_181432.jpg20220309_181457.jpg

Needed to support an upcoming project while working on it. I'll explain later, but I can't put a center on it, so I came up with another method.
I made my own center that will work off a feature on the project. I will put it in the tailstock chuck to hold, and hopefully,
I created a radius tool, and need to add a part off and facing to that radius tool to be able to do 3 operations with one op. Or do multiple tool changes, and have to flip all the parts and face, and chamfer

View attachment 399662View attachment 399663View attachment 399664

One of those times I wish I could watch what you are doing... Just to learn.

Center tool looks great!

One of those times I wish I could watch what you are doing... Just to learn.

Center tool looks great!
Hey, I'm a newbie too, only been machining since 2014.. before that it was all hacksaw, files, grinders, welding, screws, and bolts... to make anything.
I think it's just that I have been building things since I was a kid.. now, I'm just a bigger kid with a lot of history. :)

Here's a shot of the tool that parts off, chamfers the parted off piece, and then radiuses the new piece.. one op, three operations.View attachment 399688
BTW forgot to mention, I had to start with a new piece. I made a mistake creating the radius first...
The important thing is the parting and chamfer. They are critical in the timing. you want to chamfer just before the parting finishes. I am heavily steering the part to remove the nib on the cut off piece.. The radius is on the new piece so it's set back after the more important timing ops. I hope this works on the real material, I tested using 6061, the real material is O1.. The centering piece that I made earlier will center/hold the domed end of the new piece while I thread the long thread on O1.. The center will/should give me enough room to enter the material for threading.

Today i finally found some time to do some work on the scenic. First on the list was to lower it down on its wheels fire it up and drive it to the small garage over the inspection pit. It's getting very cold and the small garage is heated also with the inspection pit i'll have much better access to things under it. The drive was uneventful i found out it's leaking engine oil and gearbox oil now also some coolant. I wanted to get some work done but i did not have lots of time so i tackle the easiest. The easiest was to fix the stereo it wouldn't play sound it only whispers on one speaker. So i removed the front speakers and found that someone has upgraded the fronts to JBL 's. Then i removed the stereo and upon further inspection i found a black box behind it it had an aerial wire so i know it wasn't factory installed also had diodes on the orange wires, so i took the cover off and seen a simple circuit board so it's not a GPS tracker And figure out that is the remote for the central locking. Remove the stereo and took it on a bench by looking at the plug wire colors i know something is not right then i looked at the connector and found pioneer written on it and the unit is Sony. And a quick google image search i found the speaker wires on the sony are up and down and on this connector wire left and right. I moved them around and now it works. I also burned me a new CD and it works as well. Its the small things sometimes that annoy me like not having a working stereo in rush hour. The fuel prices are getting insanely high, full monthly paycheck to fill both of my daily drivers with diesel.
IMG_20220308_170221.jpgIMG_20220309_214406.jpgIMG_20220306_185419.jpgIMG_20220306_185428.jpgIMG_20220306_184133.jpgIMG_20220309_214414.jpg

OK, forgot about yesterday's CAR FUBAR... My wife's Toy Rav 4 2017 threw errors saying it could not activate all wheel drive, reverting to 2 WD 2 weeks ago, but she was up at my son's helping with a Colicky grand daughter. She set up an apt for Monday. I get a call that the problem is it needs a new gas cap, that's why it won't go into AWD. I'm like do I look stupid to you.. ? He says no really the pre-check pressurizes the system and it's failing. So why does it turn off the AWD... He says no idea, it is stupid. How much... $135... For a gas cap? No $35 for the gas cap, and $100 to read the diagnostics. Are you Fing ****ting me?

WTF are they thinking? It's like disabling the headlights because you have a canopy light out. Arsehats design cars these days. Anything to make a buck.
Well the saga continues. Wife goes out and the car throws the same error..
Brings it in to Toyota and they tell us that a mouse has made a home by the gas tank infill and chewed through the hose. part is on back order, $420 ... for an infill pipe??? WTF.. 860 installed. I can install it myself, but still..... And why does it have to disable All wheel drive????
They tell me to talk to insurance...

Attachments

• part0.jpg
    part0.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 25
  • part1.jpg
    part1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 25
  • part3.jpg
    part3.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 25
  • part4.jpg