POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Enco mill-drill project
I’ve thought about this y-axis lock for years but just didn’t take time to fabricate. It was such a PIA to lock the carriage that it seldom got locked.
Now it’s so easy and fast to flip the lever up.
I was curious about that too but looking at it now I think I get it. When you push down the lever the first cam rotates and the connecting rod between them turns the screw to lock the axis. The first one just revolves around a point, right?

John

This a dual “what did you buy” / “what did you make today” project.
First off, I bought a 36” finger brake. Nice casting, and nicely machined fingers that attach to t-nuts. I cleaned it all up (the t-track had an awful lot of swarf) then built a quick base for it out of some 2x2x1/16” tube. Will add a shelf and keep it unpainted until I figure out what mods/additionsI want, then will paint it.

122b6f485195d1c2d8984946a5cab27d.jpg

891615ba7c8874bab226c3da2b6348f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Some more work on the backhoe. Gets pretty busy around here this time of year getting ready for winter, so this was done a week or so ago. Broke one of the loader arms that I had patched up 35 yrs ago as both arms were cracked badly when I got the machine. Took some time to get the old plate job off, then the normal V every thing out and weld up the cracks. This time around I cut up a chunk of 8x1/4" channel to overlap the arm top and bottom with a gap left in the middle on the face to get two extra welds for a little more strength. Not my prettiest work (really need to get the cataract surgery), but It should outlast me. Mike

IMG_20231018_124659722_HDR.jpgIMG_20231017_173541727_HDR.jpgIMG_20231023_161907176_HDR.jpgIMG_20231025_093917419_HDR.jpgIMG_20231025_093946919_HDR.jpgIMG_20231027_152910346_HDR.jpg

Some more work on the backhoe. Gets pretty busy around here this time of year getting ready for winter, so this was done a week or so ago. Broke one of the loader arms that I had patched up 35 yrs ago as both arms were cracked badly when I got the machine. Took some time to get the old plate job off, then the normal V every thing out and weld up the cracks. This time around I cut up a chunk of 8x1/4" channel to overlap the arm top and bottom with a gap left in the middle on the face to get two extra welds for a little more strength. Not my prettiest work (really need to get the cataract surgery), but It should outlast me. Mike

View attachment 465468View attachment 465469View attachment 465470View attachment 465471View attachment 465472View attachment 465473
You sure beat the heck out of that puppy!!

I miss using my dad's...

And have we seen photos of this car??

IMG_20231025_093946919_HDR.jpg

Enco Mill / Drill Project

The original design was two of these thumbscrews. They push on the gib to lock the carriage.

The new lock rotates the replacement extended lock bolts in unison to accomplish the same thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpeg
    IMG_1989.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1987.jpeg
    IMG_1987.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 29
Yup, The old backhoe gets run hard from time to time. If you live here you have to earn your keep. The car is my 60 T-Bird. I'm sure it's been on here at some point, but probably been a few years back. Mike

Quote:
I miss using my dad's... And have we seen photos of this car??

0.jpeg

Last edited:
Enco Mill / Drill Project

The original design was two of these thumbscrews. They push on the gib to lock the carriage.

The new lock rotates the replacement extended lock bolts in unison to accomplish the same thing.
two is well, redundant :rolleyes: . I would think that one would do it..but they put two in... :rolleyes:
Nice solution..
Was it a pain in the arse to time them?

Yup, The old backhoe gets run hard from time to time. If you live here you have to earn your keep. The car is my 60 T-Bird. I'm sure it's been on here at some point, but probably been a few years back. Mike

Quote:

I miss using my dad's... And have we seen photos of this car??

View attachment 465496
Looks nice and well restored and kept.
My cousin's husband has a 56. She bought it for him at an auction for his birthday probably 25 years ago.

Back