POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

two is well, redundant :rolleyes: . I would think that one would do it..but they put two in... :rolleyes:
Nice solution..
Was it a pain in the arse to time them?
Most of the newer Bridgeports have 2 gib locks on the X axis. My older 1972 model only has 1

I must say however that the Bridgeport style is more substantial.

Most of the newer Bridgeports have 2 gib locks on the X axis. My older 1972 model only has 1

I must say however that the Bridgeport style is more substantial.
I get that on the X, but this is the Y I believe. That's a short casting.

The issue is that you have to reach under the table to get to the locks on the Rong Fu, which is no fun. It's a tight space to fit your paws, and there's way oil on everything you touch going in. Great mod for sure, well executed in this case!

Yup, The old backhoe gets run hard from time to time. If you live here you have to earn your keep. The car is my 60 T-Bird. I'm sure it's been on here at some point, but probably been a few years back. Mike

Quote:

You sure beat the heck out of that puppy!!
I miss using my dad's... And have we seen photos of this car??

View attachment 465496
My mom got a 1960 Hardtop when I was 12 years old. She gave it to me when she got a newer car 14 years later, and I still have it. I have a rough project 60 convertible with a 430 and a parts car, but haven't got started on it.

Espresso machine lever was rough... I have taken it apart several times to polish the main lever cam shaft... replaced all valves... and it would be smooth for a few shots and get rough again...

View attachment 390454

Well, today I decided to figure out what the problem was. Turns out it was a simple fix. This stud, that the lever rides against, had some raised areas around the slot for the screwdriver... seems the previous owner was not careful when installing.

Removed it, filed down the raised areas... placed it on the lathe and use some fine sandpaper to smooth it out. Finished with a 3000 grit then to the polishing wheel... Also took the time to polished the lever cam shaft again...

View attachment 390455

All working fine now... I will be able to confirm if I found the culprit if it continues to work smoothly for the rest of the week...

View attachment 390456

View attachment 390460

I made a very small little tool do depin a plug on an old Ducati. I have many sets of pins removers but none of them fit. It's basically just a hollow dowel but it's small and the walls are very thin. It took a couple tries but I got it and it worked like a charm.

I made a very small little tool do depin a plug on an old Ducati. I have many sets of pins removers but none of them fit. It's basically just a hollow dowel but it's small and the walls are very thin. It took a couple tries but I got it and it worked like a charm.
It didn't happen without pictures...
Welcome aboard, we want to see what you made...
One of our cute little sayings is It didn't happen without pictures... ..
Because we all enjoy seeing things..

edit: we would like to see the Ducati too... ooo ahhhhh

It didn't happen without pictures...
Welcome aboard, we want to see what you made...
One of our cute little sayings is It didn't happen without pictures... ..
Because we all enjoy seeing things..

edit: we would like to see the Ducati too... ooo ahhhhh

It's a pretty simple piece but it took a little more than I would have figured. Here's the tool and the current sad state of the bike. 1974 860 GTE

IMG_20231107_105406047.jpgIMG_20231107_105324947.jpgIMG_20231107_105420381.jpg

Was it a pain in the arse to time them?
Not at all. I just snugged both of them up what felt to be equal and checked the holding power. The table was tightly locked. I slipped the bellcranks with the link installed on the shafts, positioned, and tightened the set screws.
It totally releases when the lever is down and I have reserve travel when locked.

Not at all. I just snugged both of them up what felt to be equal and checked the holding power. The table was tightly locked. I slipped the bellcranks with the link installed on the shafts, positioned, and tightened the set screws.
It totally releases when the lever is down and I have reserve travel when locked.
that's really slick - it's got me thinking about adding a lever lock to my 6x26, for the same reason as Pontiac listed.

BLev144, please post more pics of your Ducati work, looks like a great project and I love Ducatis new and old. Especially old :)

Not much really. Made a pseudo tap for 3d printed threads. Couldn't see spending the money (and waiting) for a 3/4-20 tap. Single pointed the threads for 1" thread length, then ran a 3/16" mill to form the grooves. Didn't have a ball mill the right size, but still wanted to get it all done. Was thinking of using a 5/16 carbide router bit and thought better of it. This was simpler. Not pretty, but functional. It's not a forever tap, if you know what I mean! Took a bit of work to clean things up again after that slot made a mess. I ended up putting the piece back on the lathe and re-synching the thread to "chase" it. I then used a stone to clear out the crud at the thread ends. I didn't have the right kind of steel, but for cutting/chasing threads in PETG, I figure 12L14 will be more than ok.

My printed threads were only a little bit small. Here's the fuzz my tap cut. The black stuff on the edges is the PETG. The tap was clean of all chips and debris before tapping. The tap threaded in only using my hands, no wrenches. That was going to be plan B, install a handle, or cut a hex. Plan B wasn't needed.

FWIW, the corresponding item was 3/4-20 printed at 0.2mm layer height, with a 0.4mm nozzle. Some people have problems with printing threads. Mine weren't that far off, as seen by the minimal amount of swarf generated.
PXL_20231108_180553316_1920.jpg
I could see doing this again for some un-obtainium thread, in a better material, it wasn't that tough to do. Might even consider hardening the result (using O1 perhaps?). Maybe I could use a slitting saw for the slot?

Back