POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

More progress... I will make some pads for the rear, so all three legs are at the same height... Still waiting on the bronze flange bushings to do the swivel setup for the steering in the front. Right now I just bolted that down with a screw while the parts arrive.

Shaft for the front wheels should be here tomorrow.

Once all is done I will take it apart for sanding and a coat of paint.

Tripod Dolly-9.jpeg

:bang head: Something you need to understand... if there is an easy way and a hard/complicated way to do something... I will take the most hard and complicated path... not because I like doing that, but because I lack the wit to know, or identify, the easy way... I should have asked my father-in-law. He is quick to come up with easy solutions like the one you suggested.... son of a gun...

Not a kit already available... I just put a kit together to do this...

This is what I got:

2 Pack (yeah, now I will have a spare shaft for any other projects! ) AR-PRO (2-Pack) 5/8” x 36” Zinc Plated Steel Rods Designed for Use as an Axle Shaft on Hand Trucks Dollies Wagons
4 Pack AR-PRO 4.10/3.50-4" All Purpose Utility Air Tires and yellow Wheel - with 10" Inner Tube, 5/8" Axle Bore Hole
3 sets of 5/8" set screw shaft collars
2 sets of 5/8" Pillow block bearings

There are several house around here, being built. So I just go over to the trash bin and pull out discarded 2x6... that will be used for the frame.

Oh, and to make the swivel front steering, I got these to insert into the two pieces of wood, with a piece of shaft and two collars...

5/8" bore bronze flange

Now I am thinking if a bolt would have been fine for this task... goodness... I need help.

I am trying to make something like this:

View attachment 465276

And was using 2x6 instead of 2x4 because the pillow blocks were too wide for a 2x4.
just my opinion, the battery should go where the other tray is. you have too much weight on the rear, and not enough on the front. I envision that tilting backward, you need better balance.

edit: oops, I didn't read it, just looked at the pic.. that's not yours...

Repair that after you get the lathe together, you don't need power feed to fix those parts! You can still prep and paint, just make them the last parts installed.

You can bore the bushing and sleeve the shaft for free$
That's some solid advice @Firstram!
Thanks

Enco mill-drill project
I’ve thought about this y-axis lock for years but just didn’t take time to fabricate. It was such a PIA to lock the carriage that it seldom got locked.
Now it’s so easy and fast to flip the lever up.

Attachments

• IMG_1985.jpeg
    IMG_1985.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 42
Enco mill-drill project
I’ve thought about this y-axis lock for years but just didn’t take time to fabricate. It was such a PIA to lock the carriage that it seldom got locked.
Now it’s so easy and fast to flip the lever up.
How does that work? I am curious about why it has 2 attachments.

Shot some KG Gun Kote today. I need a little more practice and more light sources on the work, but it came out pretty good. I'm going to lightly blast and re-shoot a few spots I think. Not a big deal, I feel good about the learning experience.

PXL_20231106_225743753.jpg

Back