POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

A while back, I bought the worlds dirtiest angle grinder at a yard sale... it's a Bosch 1873-8 7" grinder.

20230930_163740.jpg

It ran good, but the power cord was pretty scary.

I ordered a replacement OEM cord and replaced it today...

20231115_135231.jpg

I tried to clean it up some, but whatever that brown crud is that is coating it won't come off... it looks like epoxy glue. I'll leave it alone and just run it.

It came fitted with a spin-on flap disc...

20231115_135334.jpg

I've ordered a set of flange nuts which I think will allow the use of type 28 and 29 wheels...

Screenshot_20231115_140942_eBay.jpg

In order to use type 27 wheels, I also need an adapter like this...

Screenshot_20231115_140902_eBay.jpg

Is that correct?

Thanks- Bear

too bad you replaced the cord already. I shortened almost all my cords on grinders (all) sanders all but one..... That way changing from tool to tool is simple, not tangled mess of cords. I just put a short (to the end of the strain relief) cord. Best mods I ever did for usefulness.

too bad you replaced the cord already. I shortened almost all my cords on grinders (all) sanders all but one..... That way changing from tool to tool is simple, not tangled mess of cords. I just put a short (to the end of the strain relief) cord. Best mods I ever did for usefulness.

LOL! I do the exact opposite. I generally put about 15' cords (extension cords with the receptacle end cut off) on my hand tools when replacing the cords. Especially sanders. I usually have 4 sanders wearing different grits plugged in and ready to go when sanding a project (usually woodworking projects).

I guess everyone has their own way of working.

Last edited:
I am just a novice practicing my machining skills. Feel free to make suggestions for better approaches for next time.

LOL! I do the exact opposite. I generally put about 15' cords (extension cords with the receptacle end cut off) on my hand tools when replacing the cords. Especially sanders. I usually have 4 sanders wearing different grits plugged in and ready to go when sanding a project (usually woodworking projects).

I guess everyone has their own way of working.
There are very good reasons for both methods....

I am just a novice practicing my machining skills. Feel free to make suggestions for better approaches for next time.

I found the Chuck in a box with some motors I bought off a guy closing down his shop. It seems like a good chuck in good shape.
20231028_182019.jpg

20231114_181003.jpg20231114_183843.jpg20231114_185918.jpg20231114_193801.jpg20231114_202120.jpg

Doh! Too long to fit in between the vise jaws. Luckily a tap with a hammer busted the chuck off of the old arbor.
20231114_205233.jpg

This chuck came with my South Bend 13. I have no idea what the rubber bushings are for? Any ideas?
20231114_205546.jpg

New arbor! JT4 to 3MT. I think I will have to drill the chuck if I ever want to remove it from this new arbor. I might have been better off just drilling the chuck to begin with.
20231114_205612.jpg

New pretty "Jacobs" chuck key to go with the new arbor and used chuck.
20231114_205632.jpg

It took me about 5 hours... but I saved $45 on not buying a set of JT4 wedges! That Is better than $8 an hour!

Last edited:
That’s a terrible chuck, you should send it to me for disposal!

Drilling them is the way to go, with a little oil and a rod they pop right off!

That’s a terrible chuck, you should send it to me for disposal!

Drilling them is the way to go, with a little oil and a rod they pop right off!

I picked up 10 old 3 ph motors for $100 several years ago and this Jacobs 18N chuck came with them as well as a 3 jaw chuck that fits my Rockwell wood lathe and some other stuff.

After I put the new arbor on the Jabob 18N I thought "how am I ever going to get the new arbor off?". If I had researched FIRST I would have just drilled the chuck. I was familiar with wedges but didn't know about drilling the chuck. It was a good learning experience so no loss.

0709202040.jpg

Last edited:
I keep long cords on my saws so I can get to the end of a sheet of plywood without hanging up on the plug.

A 6” cord brings back memories of B&D homeowners tools from the 70’s!
Other manufacturers did the same thing to keep costs down: not that it's cheap now, but 5+ feet of copper adds up.

I sometimes think that was a contributing factor in going to double-insulated: extra plastic is cheaper than copper and it lightened the tools as well as making them safer (at least for anyone that cut the grounding pin off or used an adapter).

Back