POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Other manufacturers did the same thing to keep costs down: not that it's cheap now, but 5+ feet of copper adds up.

I sometimes think that was a contributing factor in going to double-insulated: extra plastic is cheaper than copper and it lightened the tools as well as making them safer (at least for anyone that cut the grounding pin off or used an adapter).
For sure, Black&Decker made some serious industrial tools back then. I’m still using a Super SawCat saw I bought in 86.
People think I’m joking when I mention using their tools, jokes on them!

Super SawCats are sweet, I used one when we built my brother's house in 1994. I didn't realize they were made by Black and Decker. Loved that saw...

It's a little coincidental that the conversation has turned to circular saws...

Right after I finished up with the angle grinder, I started tinkering with a Skil 77 that I picked up a few weeks ago...

20231011_190414.jpg

It runs pretty smooth... or it does with no load... I'll get back to that.

The power cord had been cut and spliced a few times, and it was terribly nasty, but seemed to be in good condition for $10...

I started to disassemble it yesterday to clean it good... the deeper I got into it, the worse it became. To start with, the rear handle had a hairline crack above the trigger and fell apart upon disassembly.

The brushes looked very good, but after removing the motor housing, it's apparent that the commutator needs some attention... that's not a big issue. As I was removing the armature from the gearbox housing, I found this...

20231116_085856.jpg

It might have spun smoothly with no load, but under load may have been different...

After removing the armature, I discovered the bearing on the other end is almost locked... and the front of the motor housing in front of the fan was completely packed with a mixture of sawdust and gearbox oil...

20231116_091729.jpg

There is supposed to be cooling slots through there...

On a brighter note, the worm gear set looks very good, with just a very small amount of wear...

20231116_094848.jpg

But then... after cleaning the crud off the gearbox housing, I discovered a crack in the casting... I don't know how serious it is, I have it soaking in the cleaning tank. I'll have to clean it good and evaluate it.

So... I'll need a power cord, two bearings, a new handle, new gearbox housing, and the operating handle on the lower guard is missing. All of these parts are available... but the cost is prohibitive, considering that I can still buy this saw new for around $150...

It may wind up parted out on ebay... IDK.

-Bear

I am stuffing things left and right to find room for the 4x8 table and the mill+lathe drill press woodworking tools etc.

I put two rows of shelves on the walls and put all spare parts ne light stuff there. Winter tire buckets and heavy parts underneath

Back