POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

The problem with this crane project, is it's the only project I really need a crane for. It's quite the chicken and egg problem.

Bunch of welding done this afternoon. By design it's pulled in just a little in the middle. (It's upside down in this photo). When load is applied to the yet to be built carriage that carries the chan fall, it will tend to spring out some. It's about 1/4" in on the middle compared to the edges, which seems about right.

View attachment 472603

Not I gotta flip this over, without disassembling it. Somehow, I think the car lift will be involved.

Car lift would definitely be involved in my shop, if I had mine setup, that is.

You should be able to span a piece between the arms, and use that to flip the carriage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't disagree with you more. The horse I had trouble with wasn't mine and the owner withheld important info which would have totally changed how I would have proceeded.

I like animals better than most people. Especially horses. They can be incredibly reliable and predictable.

More horses have rider problems than riders have horse problems.

All but one of these horses I started. The first 2 where both mine. The sorrel in the first and last photo is the same one. You could do anything with them and they never hurt anyone. The middle picture the one on the left i started. The little lady was getting into trick riding and has since done some amazing things with that horse. This picture is days after buying. The buckskin in the background in the first picture I started as well and he ended up being a beginners lesson horse. I've been privileged to have ridden many great horses that many could only dream about. Spent many many days for many years in arenas and on trails enjoying them. I love a good horse.
My father liked to tell the story of being on a trail ride in the Wallowa Mountains prior to WW2. At one point the trail was cut out of a rock face with a straight drop of over 100 feet below. My father was following an inexperienced woman riding a horse that had been over the trail daily for years. He said that the woman was leaning away from the drop so far that her shoulder was rubbing the vertical cut face. The horse was leaning out over the edge to get a better view, not looking where it was going, taking advantage of the woman as a counterweight.

The problem with this crane project, is it's the only project I really need a crane for. It's quite the chicken and egg problem.

Bunch of welding done this afternoon. By design it's pulled in just a little in the middle. (It's upside down in this photo). When load is applied to the yet to be built carriage that carries the chan fall, it will tend to spring out some. It's about 1/4" in on the middle compared to the edges, which seems about right.

View attachment 472603

Not I gotta flip this over, without disassembling it. Somehow, I think the car lift will be involved.
Turning it over won’t be as exciting as getting it up in the air;)

I was able to begin reassembling the Colchester. I got the gearbox shafts and gears in and aligned, along with the spline shaft and lead screw. I’ve decided I have to do some painting and need help removing the oil level sight glass assembly. I think it’s a press fit from the front but I want to be sure and don’t want to damage it. I want to clean the inside but if it’s too risky, I’ll leave it. Thoughts?
IMG_4722.jpegIMG_4723.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4721.mov
    41.4 MB
@Gaffer
If you think the window on the sight glass is in fact glass (not plastic) I would try washing the interior in-situ. I would put the fine tube nozzle into one of those holes and blast it with aerosol brake cleaner. I have had good luck with the brake cleaner not damaging paint. YMMV

Turning it over won’t be as exciting as getting it up in the air;)
Actually, the getting it in the air shouldn't be too difficult. But only because I've been thinking on that one for a long while now. Only been worried about flipping it over for a day or two now. Lol

If the tractor wasn't in 'winter mode', using the loader would be an option. But not dropping the blower just for one lift operation. The worst part, is we haven't had enough snow to need the blower yet this year!

Edit: I guess the other option is convincing the wife I need another tractor!

@Gaffer
If you think the window on the sight glass is in fact glass (not plastic) I would try washing the interior in-situ. I would put the fine tube nozzle into one of those holes and blast it with aerosol brake cleaner. I have had good luck with the brake cleaner not damaging paint. YMMV
I'll look at it closer. I've been faked out by a watch crystal I swore was glass. I ran the part in the ultrasonic cleaner and the picture you saw was the result. A marginal improvement at best.

Actually, the getting it in the air shouldn't be too difficult. But only because I've been thinking on that one for a long while now. Only been worried about flipping it over for a day or two now. Lol

If the tractor wasn't in 'winter mode', using the loader would be an option. But not dropping the blower just for one lift operation. The worst part, is we haven't had enough snow to need the blower yet this year!

Edit: I guess the other option is convincing the wife I need another tractor!
Drop the blower if that’s the safest way to do the job.

dont know who's dumber, the horse or the rider
Horses are pretty smart, some with personalities much like dogs. As a kid I had a retired rodeo horse. I was usually too lazy to put the saddle on so ended up on the ground when the horse zigged when I expected a Zag. She would come back and nose me until I got back up after having the air knocked out of me. I always used the saddle when we'd go cattle cutting. Nothing she enjoyed more. It was a wide ride. Just point her at the cow I wanted separated from the herd and let her go. She was gated so would single foot when the rest of the horses would trot, much like riding a rocking chair instead of pounding you to death.

Back