POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Got some time on the lathe and the new bushings turned. Aluminum mock up to orient myself and practice on followed by the real thing.
IMG_7539.jpeg
Working at the limits for the Sherline without flipping the jaws over.
Had to bore the ID and finish the OD in two parts by flipping the part in the chuck.
IMG_7538.jpeg
New tumbler gear shaft fitted with fresh bushings.
IMG_7541.jpeg
Last missing part, new bearings for the oddball 9/16" ID originals. These were a little tough to source but McMaster/Carr carries one that will work. Can start reassembling the QCGB now.
IMG_7544.jpeg

Made some lexan guards for local company project. Gotta try to keep Osha happy. Had some aluminum fabrication involved, and making a press brake dies from wood for small arbor press for helping bend the lexan. I used 20 ton hydraulic press, arbor press, and finger brake as needed to get the bends. Even a heat gun came into play too.

89668c344d59da8bd9225eb7ae9ba817.jpg

418fb0977d33c50321dbe140090cbe36.jpg

5f4c3cbe642e61c8373f14e6287bbf5f.jpg

37a7ca5f53b73b8a54da9b58a1af010c.jpg

3e5a1846772766dd471cd20cb2a8c38c.jpg

b531ec1f789559d8b5e75e484bc81d70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This machine involve cherries by any chance?

Tore my 6x26 knee mill down. The x axis lead screw has a slight bend in it, the knee oil passageways were possibly blocked (now confirmed!) and a bunch of oil lines had perished.

Lots of pieces
IMG_0811.jpegIMG_0812.jpegIMG_0813.jpegIMG_0814.jpeg
Adding an oiler to the x axis nut and drip holes down to the saddle dovetail surfaces
IMG_0815.jpeg
Adding an oiler to the y axis nut, turning the washer that holds it in the saddle into an oil port and using the small cavity as a reservoir
IMG_0816.jpegIMG_0817.jpeg
Saddle and nut oil lines fitted
IMG_0818.jpeg

Knee oil lines redone. I’m going to make a metered drip oiler for the knee worm gear tomorrowIMG_0820.jpeg

Started putting the gearbox back together.

Hard to fathom the whole assemble in place concept but 1967 and all.
Cleaned up all the burrs, slide the shaft into the housing and slide each gear on the shaft. Snap ring to keep it all together.
Bearings installed last, all just a slip fit using nuts on each end of the shaft keeps it all in place.

IMG_7231.jpeg
IMG_7545.jpeg

well, for two days I spun my wheels looking for one of the battery packs for my drill. It's one of the newer packs. Damn.. I feel stupid. How did I lose one of my newer packs...

well, for two days I spun my wheels looking for one of the battery packs for my drill. It's one of the newer packs. Damn.. I feel stupid. How did I lose one of my newer packs...
Probably the same way I, and most if not all of us, do 1704306785308.png.

I know you all think I’m over organized, but hat’s why I keep my batteries with the tools they match, or in the “charging area:”

IMG_6492_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

IMG_6497_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

IMG_6494_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

I know you all think I’m over organized, but hat’s why I keep my batteries with the tools they match, or in the “charging area:”

View attachment 473062

View attachment 473063

View attachment 473064
It's a great idea if you have space, AND the discipline to put things back in their proper space. Some of us, (sheepishly raising his hand) are a little challenged in both.

I spend 25 minutes looking for my pseudo tap (3/4"-20) I made for 3d printing this morning. Went everywhere looking for it. Down in the shop, tore up my office, went to all sorts of strange places I remember having it.

Of course it was right where I thoughtfully placed it last time, in a little bin with similar gear. Clearly didn't think of this location first... Dope slap. Needs more training...

It's a great idea if you have space, AND the discipline to put things back in their proper space. Some of us, (sheepishly raising his hand) are a little challenged in both.
One of these day's I'm going to have to make a short video tour of my shop: I posted photos (and a map) back in 2022, but things have changed a little since then and a video would probably be better.

Back