POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Compare the CFM's with your current fan, McMaster has plenty of options. The downside to this fan is you will need to build your own shroud to fit the cooler but, what's one more project!

Depending on fan size, would it be possible to use a re-purposed automotive fan shroud that could be modified to suit???

It is either that or use a flat sheet of steel to make one with.

I will also run one 20A 120V to carry the internet from the house. It can still be used for powering a circuit in the garage.
On 2nd thought that's a really bad idea! It would provide two sources of power that might confuse someone into thinking they had terminated everything at the sub panel, not realizing there was a 2nd source.

On 2nd thought that's a really bad idea! It would provide two sources of power that might confuse someone into thinking they had terminated everything at the sub panel, not realizing there was a 2nd source.

Why not run an ethernet line to an ethernet switch, then from the ethernet switch into a wifi "Access point" device?

The ethernet line can carry the "internet" to the shop from the router without any need for an "external" or "shore" powerfeed. The shop supplying the power for the ethernet switch and Wifi Access point.

Other devices could then be connected to the switch via ethernet cable (laptop/pc et-al).

Also, the Access point could be useful where you have no range outside of the home environment.

Simple enough to disconnect / power off when not in use too.

Just a thought, If you're going through the work of building an extra conduit for network or anything else you want would be nice. When we built, I ran an extra 1", and extra 2" beyond the power run. Run shop air to the basement via Pex-Al-Pex through the 2" line, and fiber for network through the 1". Lots of room to pull anything else I might ever want too, a three way switch circuit for lighting someday, for example.
Good ideas. "via Pex-AL-Pex" Not sure what you mean?? Pex on each end with aluminum in the conduit? Explain please. Could the Pex be run in the same conduit as fiber? Can 24 volt control circuits be run in the same conduit? This is all new to me, no prior experience.

@wachuko thanks for posting your compressor cooler project. I've got a similar (identical?) cooler I have yet to install, so the post and comments have been great reading.

I hope you'll post inlet/outlet temps if you find a convenient way to read them. Inquiring Minds Want to Know!

Seems bizarre that they would not consider a garage a work area to have hvac for comfort.
True. I'm in a newer part of suburbia where houses have two and often 3 stall garages. Most are lucky to get one car in them. Giant TV screens, refrigerators for the beer supply, comfy chairs, table saws, roll around tool cabinets, card tables, BBQs on & on.....Some of them are drywalled & I'm assuming insulated. But the code may have been changed after those or simply put in either ignorant of the code or ignoring it.

It is a case of the government over regulating. This is a HOA area that luckily isn't very active. Middle of the road social-economic zone. $275 - $400K homes. Not a lot of kids.

True. I'm in a newer part of suburbia where houses have two and often 3 stall garages. Most are lucky to get one car in them. Giant TV screens, refrigerators for the beer supply, comfy chairs, table saws, roll around tool cabinets, card tables, BBQs on & on.....Some of them are drywalled & I'm assuming insulated. But the code may have been changed after those or simply put in either ignorant of the code or ignoring it.

It is a case of the government over regulating. This is a HOA area that luckily isn't very active. Middle of the road social-economic zone. $275 - $400K homes. Not a lot of kids.
good luck with your HOA... I could never live in an HOA managed location. I hate being told what I can and can't do on my own property. I know towns and laws tell you.. but HOA's just seem to be overreaching. I keep reading about ridiculous HOA's.

Back