POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

good luck with your HOA... I could never live in an HOA managed location.
Among the premarital agreements my wife and I made was we'd never buy in an HOA neighborhood. I lived in Irvine for HS through college. That was enough for one lifetime.

Been married 27yrs now and we're still going strong. Good communication and steering clear of trouble has served us well!

Among the premarital agreements my wife and I made was we'd never buy in an HOA neighborhood. I lived in Irvine for HS through college. That was enough for one lifetime.

Been married 27yrs now and we're still going strong. Good communication and steering clear of trouble has served us well!
Why is Irvine all hoa?

Good ideas. "via Pex-AL-Pex" Not sure what you mean?? Pex on each end with aluminum in the conduit? Explain please. Could the Pex be run in the same conduit as fiber? Can 24 volt control circuits be run in the same conduit? This is all new to me, no prior experience.
Fiber and Pex could be in the same tube. I did separate tubes because the pex is a brute, and fiber is more fragile.

24V is considered low voltage, and is usually treated pretty leniently by inspectors (Not a lot of codes for it). I don't see why air and other things couldn't be combined. However, It might not hurt to talk to the inspector ahead of time. (Honestly, In my experience meeting with them ahead of time to ask a few good questions made the process go smoothly later. Seemed to start things off well...)

PEX-AL-PEX is otherwise known as oxygen barrier PEX. PEX tubing can creep if used at high pressure (~125-150 PSI) even at ambient temps. Some guys have had it split when used in air systems.

The PEX-AL-PEX has PEX inside, PEX outside, with a thin layer of aluminum sheet rolled and welded into tubing between. That prevents oxygen from creeping into heating systems done with PEX. It also makes it more stiff. The aluminum tube keeps the PEX from creeping. That's why I chose it. It's normally used for in floor heating, so is cheap. I think I paid $70 for 300 foot rolls on amazon. Then used normal pex fittings for the air. You can see the Al layer here:
AluLayer.jpgPexAir.jpg

I used the copper crush ring style crimp joints for air, and did two rings per crimp. Haven't had a leak in 5 years. I did use the smaller sizes, because I don't really need a lot of air. I think the frictional pressure drop is pretty low anyway, as this stuff is pretty smooth and slippery to the air moving in it.

Last edited:
Depending on fan size, would it be possible to use a re-purposed automotive fan shroud that could be modified to suit???

It is either that or use a flat sheet of steel to make one with.
Making a custom shroud is part of the fun!
Here’s the best picture I have of mine. It’s not ideal but it works well.

IMG_5262.jpeg

Our power is different, 220 here is two hots and a ground. If you need 120 it requires a 4 wire cord and expensive connections or hardwiring.

Why is Irvine all hoa?
It's a "planned" city. Wikipedia has a section about it on their Irvine page. It's not without its charms, but it's no place for teenage car enthusiasts. Got an HOA letter for changing my oil in the driveway. Next time I did it in the garage with the door up and got another letter about that. Pretty sure we got a letter once for just washing it in the driveway. And that was before I owned any loud, dangerous power tools. I can't imagine the grief of living there with a 60gal compressor and a drawer full of cheap pneumatic tools. No thanks.

Our first house was in Orange (no HOA). Our second and current home is in the Floral Park neighborhood of Santa Ana, just four houses down from the 13-term mayor. Only hassle I've ever had was a well deserved ticket from code enforcement for leaving our Christmas lights up past Valentine's Day – lol. Never a peep from anyone about occasional race car startups, table saw, grinding, welding, machining or even car washing.

It's a "planned" city. Wikipedia has a section about it on their Irvine page. It's not without its charms, but it's no place for teenage car enthusiasts. Got an HOA letter for changing my oil in the driveway. Next time I did it in the garage with the door up and got another letter about that. Pretty sure we got a letter once for just washing it in the driveway. And that was before I owned any loud, dangerous power tools. I can't imagine the grief of living there with a 60gal compressor and a drawer full of cheap pneumatic tools. No thanks.

Our first house was in Orange (no HOA). Our second and current home is in the Floral Park neighborhood of Santa Ana, just four houses down from the 13-term mayor. Only hassle I've ever had was a well deserved ticket from code enforcement for leaving our Christmas lights up past Valentine's Day – lol. Never a peep from anyone about occasional race car startups, table saw, grinding, welding, machining or even car washing.
13 term mayor? is that Mayor for life?

you can have that Planned city... I like it where all the houses look different, the parcels are different sizes. Some are farms, some are homes... we do have a few developments that have popped up... Big McMansions.. we figure you have to be a drug dealer to afford them.

Is there a rule about Valentine lights?

Married for over 40 years and still no HOA, but we were living on an AF Base for a few years. but they were not as picky as HOAs seem to be. What I did today was put weathertech floor mats in wife's new car. Just in time it is supposed to rain tonight.

Back