POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Yesterday I mounted a bunch of angle grinders on the side of my welding/ winch cart. Threw a piece of ground off metal in the eye, been annoying me all day... so it was about 64 yesterday, today 76, and that's too soon for me.. was working in the yard soaked through and through, whatever happened to a gradual warm up... right before this we were 40s and low 50s... I have a lot of yard work coming up, but when it was cooler, it was too wet, and I did not want to dig mud, I need to lay a new border around things... and in my book, you never want to work on stuff that can't be tamped down and stay..., sliding is not good for a straight line ..

Ok end of rant... I want spring, not winter then summer.

Yesterday I mounted a bunch of angle grinders on the side of my welding/ winch cart. Threw a piece of ground off metal in the eye, been annoying me all day... so it was about 64 yesterday, today 76, and that's too soon for me.. was working in the yard soaked through and through, whatever happened to a gradual warm up... right before this we were 40s and low 50s... I have a lot of yard work coming up, but when it was cooler, it was too wet, and I did not want to dig mud, I need to lay a new border around things... and in my book, you never want to work on stuff that can't be tamped down and stay..., sliding is not good for a straight line ..

Ok end of rant... I want spring, not winter then summer.
Same here. Need the moderate temperatures for outdoor work. That or a riding mower with an enclosed cab ...

Last week I found 4 rusting Jacobs drill chucks out in the yard rusting/rotting away where I currently work. I asked the Operations Manager if I could have them along with whole bunch of other tooling and materials that were rusting away. He said yes, so I took all that I could get. Three of the drill chucks are 16Ns and there is one 18N. This weekend, I took the rust off the 3 16Ns and I was able to get 2 complete working ones. One of them, I was missing a thrust washer because it was a rusted/rotted mess. Now that I have my lathe working, I made a thrust washer out of some bronze that was in the same pile of rusting tooling. Below, I have added some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4646.JPG
    IMG_4646.JPG
    341.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4658.JPG
    IMG_4658.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4659.JPG
    IMG_4659.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4660.JPG
    IMG_4660.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4661.JPG
    IMG_4661.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 35
Went to use my blast cabinet the other day and the vacuum unit started screeching in a most unpleasant manner. Went ahead and tore it down and did a motor refurbish. It has actual ball bearings on the motor, so pulled the seals, sprayed them out with brake clean, repacked, replaced the seals, and reassembled. This is the second time I've done this in 25yrs after pretty heavy use, and back to operating like new. Forgot to take pics during, but I'm sure you know the routine. Mike

IMG_20240409_182511238.jpg

I spent a couple of hours in the shop installing an post-compressor head air cooler on my 60 gallon Sanborn compressor.
Used a Derale 15300 transmission cooler rated for 250 psi, an air/water separator, 3/8 soft copper tubing and a bunch of compression fittings.
Quite astonished at the difference. After filling the tank from empty, the temp at the head fitting was 248F. The temp of the cooler outlet was 72F. The water separator collected a little more than a teaspoon of water, Overall I'm extremely happy with this modification.
Total cost was ~$200 CDN, the most expensive component was the cooler.
IMG_1152.jpegIMG_1154.jpegIMG_1155.jpeg
IMG_1156.jpegIMG_1157.jpegIMG_1158.jpeg
IMG_1159.jpeg

Last edited:
I made a huge disastrous mess!!! But I also got power over to the new mill. 1 20A circuit for mill power, 1 15A circuit (in a 3 gang outlet box) for DRO, lights & small shop vac.

Attachments

• B3387749-0540-4382-B77D-5E74E0B356AF.jpeg
    B3387749-0540-4382-B77D-5E74E0B356AF.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 54C058BA-47D3-4A49-AB30-74A0A0E0D7A1.jpeg
    54C058BA-47D3-4A49-AB30-74A0A0E0D7A1.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 34
Dropped the drivetrain out of the planer with a rope wrapped around a bolt for tension. Need to do lots of degreasing. I also started using the needle scaler and it works great!

Attachments

• IMG_6759.jpeg
    IMG_6759.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6758.jpeg
    IMG_6758.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6760.jpeg
    IMG_6760.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6761.jpeg
    IMG_6761.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 34
Little more progress on the crane. This simple part took WAY too long. Precision bored holes in the angle (OK, CNC milled), turned bearing holders with a shoulder press fit into the angle, and slip fit for the bearing.
SimplePart.jpg
The bearing holders will get TIG welded into the angle, and the angle will hopefully get welded in place today.

Did myself a favor for this one. Ordered a bar of 1045 cold rolled annealed. I may have to do that in more sizes. Size is uniform, annealing makes it work nice. I've yet to heat treat any of it, but there should be enough carbon to toughen it up some. And it's was pretty cheap. For this application, it should be tough enough, this is just a set of bearings for a handwheel support.

The next favor I need to do for myself is order a good insert cutoff tool. The HSS cutoff tool has always fought me. I really don't like that tool.

Back