POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Curious why you would want a slip fit for the bearing i.d.. Normally I would think you would want a press fit for a non tapered bearing. Mike

Little more progress on the crane. This simple part took WAY too long. Precision bored holes in the angle (OK, CNC milled), turned bearing holders with a shoulder press fit into the angle, and slip fit for the bearing.

Curious why you would want a slip fit for the bearing i.d.. Normally I would think you would want a press fit for a non tapered bearing. Mike
Fair question!

In this case the bearings are being used as rollers. If they ever need to be replaced they will be difficult to get off it they're pressed. The inner race will be clamped by a washer and 1/4-20 screw, so will not rotate in normal operation.

In this case, about .0005" to .001" clearance.

Did myself a favor for this one. Ordered a bar of 1045 cold rolled annealed. I may have to do that in more sizes. Size is uniform, annealing makes it work nice. I've yet to heat treat any of it, but there should be enough carbon to toughen it up some. And it's was pretty cheap. For this application, it should be tough enough, this is just a set of bearings for a handwheel support.
May not enough caffeine yet this morning, but I'm not following how the 1045 fits into the pictured work, did you use it to make the bearing supports?

May not enough caffeine yet this morning, but I'm not following how the 1045 fits into the pictured work, did you use it to make the bearing supports?
I might not be writing clearly either = Brain fog from allergies.

1045 cold rolled round was stock for turned parts. Those are the little stub shafts that hold the bearings. Turns a lot easier, no mill scale, uniform size, heat treat possible. Way better than the other garbage I had around.

I might not be writing clearly either = Brain fog from allergies.

1045 cold rolled round was stock for turned parts. Those are the little stub shafts that hold the bearings. Turns a lot easier, no mill scale, uniform size, heat treat possible. Way better than the other garbage I had around.
I like 1045 over say 1018 and 1214 for machining.

500 yards... holy schnikes. That's a lot of top soil. I have one of those little generators. Pain in the arse to start after sitting, but quiet and a good little generator..
That little 2 stroke generator from HF is about 17 years old . The recoil mechanism is LONG GONE ! I use a 9/16ths socket and battery drill to start it . For $69 back then it's paid it's dues . :encourage: The big 4 stroke never gets used as it is too big to haul to NY . Only time it gets used is at my yard sales these days to power up tools and compressor .

That little 2 stroke generator from HF is about 17 years old . The recoil mechanism is LONG GONE ! I use a 9/16ths socket and battery drill to start it . For $69 back then it's paid it's dues . :encourage: The big 4 stroke never gets used as it is too big to haul to NY . Only time it gets used is at my yard sales these days to power up tools and compressor .
got mine at Pep Boys, it's great to haul around. Before that I used to haul my big one.. too damn heavy.

Back