POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

nice fix Bruce... the geothermal furnace, is that your own design?
Does it work well?
We have a unit called "Well Connect". It's a pump and dump system. The cooling cycle makes perfect sense to me. Compress Freon which raises the temp. Remove heat through the condenser, then drop the pressure through a throttle valve which drops the temp. Move air over the cold Freon to cool the house. Instead of trying to remove heat from the compressed Freon with 90 F hot summer air, we use 50 F water. It's WAY more efficient on the cooling cycle. It's on a 15A 220 breaker instead of a 40A (old conventional system). The massive increase in efficiency results in a much smaller compressor.

The heating cycle flips the water/air coils. In the heating cycle it blows air over the compressed Freon to make heat. We spent $2100 on electricity last year and used about $450 in propane. Previously we burned through about $1600 in propane and $1500 in electricity.

Our system cost about $12,000 installed. Gonna take a lot of years for it to pay off at around $500 a year savings.

I'll find a link to our unit and post it. Typing this on a tablet.

Bruce

Link is wellconnectgeo.com. Learned from the website that it uses 1300 W when running.

Bruce

Same old stuff . Loaded up the new garden with one of the neighbors ground up stumps and dirt . Maybe 10 yards or so . Loading it and dumping it wasn't a problem , raking that crap was . The stomach is hurting a little . Got all the lathe stock in buckets ready to go out to a member maybe this weekend , heavy $hit hauling it up from the basement . Yesterday did a scrap run and was quite pleased with the prices , stainless was $.85 a lb. I didn't take my one hunk of 304 that weighs 82 lbs up figuring it's worth more to someone making something . Stuff is leaving , and I got a saw out and can actually use it . 2 four wheelers were wiped down also , they look brand new for 02s . To sum it up , same crap , different day .

When I can get into the tools , I'll have a $5 sale for all of them each at the yard sale and on here . It would keep me busy for years . :)

Same old stuff . Loaded up the new garden with one of the neighbors ground up stumps and dirt . Maybe 10 yards or so . Loading it and dumping it wasn't a problem , raking that crap was . The stomach is hurting a little . Got all the lathe stock in buckets ready to go out to a member maybe this weekend , heavy $hit hauling it up from the basement . Yesterday did a scrap run and was quite pleased with the prices , stainless was $.85 a lb. I didn't take my one hunk of 304 that weighs 82 lbs up figuring it's worth more to someone making something . Stuff is leaving , and I got a saw out and can actually use it . 2 four wheelers were wiped down also , they look brand new for 02s . To sum it up , same crap , different day .

When I can get into the tools , I'll have a $5 sale for all of them each at the yard sale and on here . It would keep me busy for years . :)
might have to take a road trip to one of your garage sales... :)

I just played with three little projects that had been bugging me for awhile.

1) I found a very solid stand that was for a drum set, I believe, but it was missing a knob on one of the leg adjustments. It was 20 tpi, but but a custom diameter for some reason, so I threaded and knurled a replacement. I have a cheap knurling tool, but I don’t care. :)
2) I saw a very simple drill sharpening fixture on this site and made one out of Delrin, with a step to fit my grinder tool rest. Now this really works, no need for a drill doctor, etc. It’s pretty simple to use, and does a nice job.
3) I needed a cable clamp, nothing on hand, lazy, made a die and pressed out a clamp. So now I have free 1/2” clamps for life. This equipment is paying for itself every day.

View attachment 405091View attachment 405092View attachment 405093
I've got a slab of phenolic I might use for a drill guide. Thanks for the idea!

Snafu as usual . Go to grind the nails sticking up thru the landscaping ties with the RA grinder . Better than yanking 200 ft of extension cord out I pull the small HF generator out for the job . 2nd pull , the friggin cord snaps . :grin: It's only 11 years old and cost me a whole $70 back then . Anyway , I tore the guts out of it and just used a drill to start it up with no yanking what so ever . More dead weight for the trash man that didn't show up today . I start the truck and take the landscaping ties out to the garden . Bought them from from Homey Repot . These things look like BentCarrott.com should have sold them . What a bunch of unusable trash , better suited for the burn pit . Unload the ties and back the truck up , the brake pedal goes to to the floor . Brake fluid flowing out of the left front caliper . JFG , tomorrows unexpected job . :rolleyes:

On another note , the young neighbor across the street stopped in . Said he heard from my other neighbor that I went thru bladder cancer ops . Turns out , he has it and was asking questions about everything involved . Just a young guy so I was , but also wasn't surprised to hear it . :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_9115.JPG
    IMG_9115.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9116.JPG
    IMG_9116.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9117.JPG
    IMG_9117.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 20
Fixed up a 1" solid carbide boring bar that I got with a bunch of auction stuff a while back. Screwed a brass M4 screw into the partial insert hole then used my friends mig welder to build up the nose and sides of the insert pocket. Looked pretty uglyIMG_20220421_195053.jpgIMG_20220421_195049.jpgIMG_20220421_195056.jpg

Then got the base of the insert pocket more or less level on the millIMG_20220428_193953.jpg

Milled the pocket flat then spent a good while with the Dremel, a bunch of burrs and an angle grinder to get thisIMG_20220428_210737.jpgIMG_20220428_210753.jpgIMG_20220428_210917.jpgIMG_20220428_210935.jpg

Still needs a little fiddling but I figured I'd stop for the night before I made it worse. 100 times better than what it was though :)

Today i had some time to spare and some parts arrived for the W210. A set of front springs that wore also cut and a used turbocharger. The coil springs have to wait the turbocharger got my attention. This car has good working space and good quality hardware. I had to remove the coolant pipe to the alternator, yeah the alternator is cooled by the engine coolant. One thing i found that the catalytic converter is hollow and was full of oil, that will explain all the smoke. I install the new turbo drain the oil removed the oil filter but had to stop the replacement i bought wasn't right and did not want to run the turbo with the old oil.
IMG_20220409_140903.jpgIMG_20220409_141046.jpgIMG_20220413_172740.jpgIMG_20220413_173039.jpgIMG_20220413_173100.jpgIMG_20220413_173930.jpgIMG_20220413_181356.jpg

Sorry for the terrible pictures but did a really quick job this morning - hated the tiny little wheel on the tail stock on my lathe, so found this amoungst a random pile of scrap and made it my new hand wheel - it works BEAUTIFULLY, and the weight means it can turn with some momentum.

I was going to strip and paint it, maybe even turn it into a different shape, but actually I kind of like how ridiculous it looks lol, so I think I'll keep it as-is.

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_090125.jpg
    IMG_20220430_090125.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220430_090206.jpg
    IMG_20220430_090206.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 40
Back