POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I finally got the time and energy to pull the motor out of my South Bend 13" lathe this evening. The bearings were LITERALLY SCREAMING for replacements. Pulled the motor apart and pulled the bearings out. One Hoover 205 bearing which appears to equate to a 6205 bearing and one NTN 6203Z bearing. I ordered NSK sealed bearings off of Amazon.

Who knows what bearings I will actually end up with. I probably should have waited until tomorrow and found a reputable supplier to buy them from but I am feeling lazy and want to get my lathe back up and running! I have a couple projects that I need it for.

POTD was relatively simple layout and lathe work, but so far has been one of my most satisfying projects. As usual with my posts, some backstory drivel. . .

My mom was diagnosed with lymphoma in December 2020. She last ate a full meal on Christmas Day, 2020 and got sick from that. She has multiple things going on, including a growth around her duodenum. More boring biology; the duodenum is the start of your small intestine leaving the stomach. She has a stricture about 8” down the duodenum that has her plumbing totally plugged off. She had something called a G-J tube (gastrostomy-jejunostomy tube) installed through her abdomen which vented her stomach and allowed tube feeding into her small intestine.

The G-J is two tubes in one; one tube went through her side into her stomach where it splits into two tubes. One ended in her stomach (G-tube), the other snaked through the restriction in her duodenum (J-tube) and ended in her jejunum (small intestine downstream from the duodenum). The G-tube portion allows her stomach to drain as her body is still secreting digestive juices into her stomach. With the duodenum plugged tightly, the only place for those juices to go is back out her mouth. The J-tube is used for nutrition through a pump system (15 hours a day tied to an IV pole).

She had problems with the G-J tube because of the stricture around the duodenum. My analogy is like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose which builds pressure and acts like a jet. The stricture in her duodenum pinched the J-tube enough that when it was flushed (water) by the pump system, it jetted the tubing back up into her stomach.

Last September her doctor was unable to snake the 10th (?!?) G-J tube through her duodenum. A surgeon was able to open her up and install a dedicated J-tube into her jejunum. She now has two tubes: G-tube to drain her stomach contents and a J-tube for tube feeding, hydration and meds.

My sister and I trade her back and forth every month. During the day, we take the contents of the drained G-tube (gastric juices) and syringe them into the J-tube as her body needs those enzymes for digestion, hydration and electrolytes. We’d also run 50 ml of water every hour as she effectively can’t drink by mouth. The work isn’t difficult, but it ties us to her throughout the day; we need to do something every hour. She has a 5’ length of tubing running to a bag to capture the drained contents of her stomach 24/7.

Long story longer, our mom is having a PET scan to see if she is able to have a bypass surgery called a gastrojejunostomy. This procedure ties the jejunum directly to the stomach bypassing the problem in her duodenum. If she is able to have the surgery, it would allow her to eat solid food again and gain one heck of an increase in quality of life. No more syringing in hydration, meds and gastric juices ever hour of the day when she’s not hooked to an IV pole. And no more carrying around a drain bag of her stomach contents 24/7. No more tied to an IV pole for 15 hours a day. On the downside, it doesn't help with the cancers she's fighting, but it would give her a more normal existence for the rest of her days.

Surgery we're hoping our mom is able to get. Ties her small intestine to her stomach directly to bypass the restriction in her duodenum (between the stomach and the connection between the small intestine and stomach)
Capture.JPG

I asked the surgeon if it would be possible to tie the G-tube draining her stomach directly to the J-tube in her jejunum. We are basically doing that already as we take the collected contents of her stomach and manually syringe it into her small intestines. He said, “Sure, tying the G and J tubes together is basically an external gastrojejunostomy”. Surgery checked with the manufacturer of the G and J tubes and such a fitting does not exist. So, guess what my project of the day was!

My task was to duplicate the feeding tube/ drain tube end fittings and connect them with a length of tubing. The feed tube end fitting is made from polyethylene, I have a decent supply on hand for the fittings.

Measured the diameters/taper and chucked up the PE. Standard fare from there: Face, center drill, turn the tapers, drill a through hole, part, flip and drill the back side for the tubing (tubing was from a gravity feed tube with a larger diameter than the normal feeding tube).

Lathe work for both the G-tube and J-tube fittings. G-tube first; face, center drill, drill a through-hole, cut the taper for jamming into the silicon G-tube female fitting, relieve the connecting tube end and part. I did the G-tube fitting with a lot of material sticking out of the chuck.
20220503_114354.jpg
20220503_114603.jpg
20220503_115542.jpg
20220503_120034.jpg

J-tube end fitting. Pretty much the same as the G-tube but this end has two steps. I also switched things up and turned the tapers between centers, then drilled the through hole.
20220503_120304.jpg
20220503_121551.jpg
20220503_122226.jpg
20220503_122422.jpg

Flipped both end fittings and drilled a hole in the back side to accept a connecting hose.
20220503_123818.jpg

The tubing was heated in boiling water and press-fit into the ends. I ran a drop of superglue on the outside edge of the joint for belt and suspenders. They use superglue in place of stitches in a pinch, won’t be an issue here either.

Two end fittings and a length of PVC (?) tubing from a gravity feed IV bag
20220503_124540.jpg

Standard feed tube up top, my male to male connection hose below. I've got the J-tube ends next to each other. Note that I didn't bother with the last two smaller steps as her J-tube appliance accepts the smaller of the two steps in my tube. This also let me use a larger diameter connecting tube as I didn't want to cause a restriction in the flow from her stomach to her jejunum.
20220504_094541.jpg

Our mom was a little apprehensive about being a “science project”, but so far so good (5 days in)! It’s helped with her (and her caregivers’) quality of life as she can hydrate herself throughout the day. No more syringing in gastric juices every hour. She can also freely walk without having a 5’ length of tubing running to a drain bag. Her PET scan is scheduled for Friday, May 6; your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated!

Our mom hooked up with the connection hose. The upper tube is a drain from her stomach, lower tube runs into her jejunum. My hose is the one in between. I secured the fitting with foam tape on top of the PE ends that jam into the silicon tube ends.
20220502_094601.jpg

Thanks for looking, Bruce

p.s. Probably need to throw some legalize in at this point. I am not a doctor and do not endorse or suggest anyone else try my male to male connector. I consulted with her surgeons before doing any of this work. Everything was thoroughly sterilized before use and reviewed with her surgeon before we hooked her up. And in case you were wondering, a sample of the connection tube has been sent to the manufacturer for possible inclusion in their catalog.

Last edited:
Wow Bruce! Good for you. :clapping:

IIRC, this type of problem solving was (you're retired?) your career. Nothing new about that aspect.

However, I'm assuming the G-J tube procedure(s) weren't invented last month. Isn't it incredible that you, a non-medical professional, is the first to define that improvement. If you patent it, you may become rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Never mind the patent application. The Surgeon and the manufacturer have already submitted. :steamroller:

Nice job, Bruce! I’m sure your Mom is thrilled with your efforts.

Reminds me a lot of my Mom who was diagnosed with bulbar onset ALS. This typically affects the swallowing and speech aspects long before mobility is affected. Anyway, she had to have a feeding tube as well and my sister and I also alternated duties to take care of the administering of the nutrient stuff. It was pretty hard for my Mom who raised a family of seven kids and a husband — all eating at the same big table — to feel like she didn’t belong because she couldn’t “eat” anymore. Plus, all the medical stuff just looked too, well, medical, to be at a dining table.

Well, I fixed that. I took an old brass lamp standard, scrapped the electricals, and turned a Honduras mahogany finial for the top. To this I attached a couple polished brass (solid mind you, no plated stuff thank you) coat hooks. Next Sunday dinner I brought it up to the end of the table next to me, we hung her feeding apparatus from the gleaming stand and she never ate by herself again.

I still have the pole, wish I still had the Mom too…

-frank

Wow Bruce! Good for you. :clapping:

IIRC, this type of problem solving was (you're retired?) your career. Nothing new about that aspect.

However, I'm assuming the G-J tube procedure(s) weren't invented last month. Isn't it incredible that you, a non-medical professional, is the first to define that improvement. If you patent it, you may become rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Never mind the patent application. The Surgeon and the manufacturer have already submitted. :steamroller:
Well, as a matter of fact, paperwork was filed with Fraser and Trebilcock, law firm in Lansing, MI. I hope it can help out others regardless.

My advice to all is to question everything you are not comfortable with. If the doctors can't explain it to you, ask for a second opinion. If they say something can't be done, ask why.

It's been an interesting journey with our mom. There are doctors who gets A's and doctors who get C's. They both get to practice medicine. Protocols are developed by doctors who get A's. The C students are successful because they follow the protocols developed by the A students. But Lord help you if the C's are thrown a curve and have to figure something out on their own! Be your loved one's advocate. We have had multiple issues that my sister and I have worked out on our own. I could go on for hours but will end it here.

Bruce

Bruce that is one of the coolest things I have seen. Both in concept and execution!!
Necessity is the mother of invention, and Bruce is the father!
Thanks for the compliment but it was so stupidly simple. I'm still shocked with some of the "engineering" on some medical apparatus. Another one I didn't shoot pictures of is her walker. At the time she didn't have the stability to make it to the bathroom without using a walker. Problem was she needed to drag an IV pole with the walker. They make walkers with poles attached, but that meant we had to transfer two bags and a Joey feed pump over to the walker. I added a flip down arm on the front of the walker with a "U" detail to capture the pole. It worked pretty well, the U captured the pole fore/aft and side to side, but not vertically so she could lift the walker to move with the arm up front pushing the pole along. Frankly, a good engineer and/or machinist could come up with a lot of improvements in medical apparatus.

Bruce

Thanks for the compliment but it was so stupidly simple. I'm still shocked with some of the "engineering" on some medical apparatus. Another one I didn't shoot pictures of is her walker. At the time she didn't have the stability to make it to the bathroom without using a walker. Problem was she needed to drag an IV pole with the walker. They make walkers with poles attached, but that meant we had to transfer two bags and a Joey feed pump over to the walker. I added a flip down arm on the front of the walker with a "U" detail to capture the pole. It worked pretty well, the U captured the pole fore/aft and side to side, but not vertically so she could lift the walker to move with the arm up front pushing the pole along. Frankly, a good engineer and/or machinist could come up with a lot of improvements in medical apparatus.

Bruce
Some of the best inventions are the simplest Bruce.
My father in law was a good sized fella. Made a living climbing phone poles for Southwestern Bell. He spent many years in a walker. He was trashing one every couple of months because of his size.
I took a trashed one and doubled up the rear wheels in the back. One inside the frame one outside on each rear wheel. Doubled the brake as well. As you can imagine doubling the rear wheels increased the load carrying capacity exponentially. Took minutes. He loved that walker, said it felt more stable than any he had owned. He never wore out that walker. Used it for years.
You done good Bruce, likely for more than your mom.

Well done Bruce, and prayers sent for your Mom. Mike

Back