2020 POTD Thread Archive

I finally finished my 127-hole index plate. Yeah, it took me a while - breaking your only #32 drill bit in mid flight is frustrating. But, once I had new ones, I could finish drilling the holes. Sheesh, 127 holes can wear out an arm.

20200601_123741.jpg

127 holes is not divisible by 3, and you can see the 126 holes (42 sets of 3) with the single remaining hole to the upper right corner. Now I can make big, ugly, 16 pitch metric conversion gears if I can get the indexing head far enough off of the table.

I marvel at some of the amazing things you people make and I often spend a lot of time trying to duplicate your design, usually failing to make them look as nice but they do work. But this simple little mod could be one of the best things I've done because the benefit/creation time ratio is pretty high.

I'm sure many (most?) of you are old enough to remember "necker knobs" or "brodie knobs". I decided to make one for my X2D mill today so that I have more control when manually feeding the Z axis and also a quick way to raise the head.

knob.jpg

I just finished up a "speed" wrench for my Kurt 4" vice. The one supplied by Kurt is okay, but it hits the Y-axis stepper motor unless the handle is pivoted out a bit making it awkward. In the center position, it clears my motor and I can very quickly open or close the vice.

This was done in FreeCAD and LinuxCNC. The hex cutouts were done with a 1/4" end mill followed by a 1/8" end mill. Then, a little filing to finish it. I'm very pleased with the fit on the 9/16" hex on the vice. It's a little heavy, so I might figure out a way to lighten it a bit.

The main part is 1018 steel and the handle is 12L14 steel.

IMG_5579.jpg

IMG_5580.jpg

IMG_5582.jpg

IMG_5583.jpg

There it cools and returns to liquid with the distilled alcohol dripping out the end. The source mash has no alcohol left when the still runs dry. Get it above 212 F and the water boils too and you've got watered down booze.

I know, more than anyone wanted to know. . .
Bruce

Not watching TV does occasionally cost something. On the other hand, watching TV costs time. . . lots of time. I don't do TV, period. So missed out on that interesting article. Took every bit of 30 seconds to read the same thing above. Seeing it here was a little out of place, but an interesting touch.

Anything I read that I don't already know is just one more item to stash away in the deep dark recesses of my memory. It may never be directly recalled, but does affect my subconcious when thinking about something possibly totally unrelated.

So to respond to Bruce, I, for (at least) one, do appreciate the information. More so the historical aspect than the chemical details. I am a "non-drinker", but not a "teetotler". I have a bottle of "Drambuie" on hand that's been here for near 30 years and over half left in the bottle. My ancestors date back to the first Jamestown colony, ca. 1620 or so. To know that "I" (my bloodline) predate that particular form of alcoholic beverage is in itself worth knowing. And I'm a little verbose myself. . . Took over a hundred words to respond to someone's "off topic" post.

Bill Hudson​

Never heard them called "necker knobs" or "brodie knobs" before, had to google it to find out what it was. Here in Aus we call them spinner knobs widely used on fork trucks and other stuff. its not legal to have them fitted to a car except in the case of a handicapped person and must have a doctor's certificate. After her stroke, my wife had her license endorsed "must only drive an Auto and have approved spinner knob". Although there is one fitted to my car, for when she drives it, I am not allowed to use it.

Not watching TV does occasionally cost something. On the other hand, watching TV costs time. . . lots of time. I don't do TV, period.
Good on ya! Same for my wife and myself. I'd much rather be doing stuff than watching (entirely too frequently, mindless) stuff.

Back