2020 POTD Thread Archive

Never heard them called "necker knobs" or "brodie knobs" before, had to google it to find out what it was. Here in Aus we call them spinner knobs widely used on fork trucks and other stuff. its not legal to have them fitted to a car except in the case of a handicapped person and must have a doctor's certificate. After her stroke, my wife had her license endorsed "must only drive an Auto and have approved spinner knob". Although there is one fitted to my car, for when she drives it, I am not allowed to use it.
Not surprising, Bob, you guys have lots of names for things we've never heard of either! :D

And you made me Google the illegal nature here in the US. Apparently it's a myth that they're illegal for regular automotive use. I would have put money on the fact that they were illegal.

Not surprising, Bob, you guys have lots of names for things we've never heard of either! :D

And you made me Google the illegal nature here in the US. Apparently it's a myth that they're illegal for regular automotive use. I would have put money on the fact that they were illegal.

Suicide knobs are not illegal per the federal DOT. Every state I've lived in they've been illegal. The State of Washington considers it an "illegal protrusion from the steering wheel" under the state DOT section of the code.

Grossly off topic, but shows my still good memory. And a cute story. . .

My old man used one when I was little, in Virginia. But he had an exemption for every state we ever visited. He drove a straight shift with his hands. Including the throttle, brake, and clutch. A "busy" man. . .

Which brings to mind a trip through central Va, down US 250 after crossing Skyline Drive, westbound toward Staunton. I was very small(pre-school) and sat up front between Mom and Pop. Pop had a "T" handle he used for the gas. I felt I needed one too. The Studebaker ('51 StarLight Coupe) had a "T" handle under the dash so I pulled on that. Turns out going uphill under load, it had no effect. Once we topped the hill, the planetary overdrive engaged and we freewheeled down the loonnngggg grade toward Waynesboro. I didn't get a paddling, but never got to sit up front again.

Well it's been a month almost every week i'm at the vehicle inspection station. Just as i was finishing a job out of the city, my brother called " Bro, my car failed on the brake check i can't register it", told him of course, it's a ford :grin big: bring it at the garage, i'll come in an hour. Got in it brakes feel good, called my brother and ask him when was the last time you drove this car outside of the city, oh i haven't in long time. So i took it on a mountain road got the brakes nice and hot to burn off all the glazing took it in the same inspection station and passed with no problems just user error haha.
IMG_20200602_131447_3.jpg

Why are you driving on the wrong side of the road? Dangerous!
Robert

POTD was repairing my Post drafting machine. Yeah, I can read a calendar and know it’s year 2020. . . In my defense, I hadn’t used it for about 30 years, but frankly find “old tech” still has its place on occasion.

For those under 50 who have never seen one of these, mine is a Post/Mutoh drafting machine. The base is fixed to the drawing table. There are two swing arms with a pulley in between the two, plus pulleys on either end of the swing arms. The drafting detail (sorry, the proper name escapes me) has an infinitely adjustable base (in rotation) that can be locked into an angular position. Once locked in place, you can move the drafting head around the table and the X/Y scales stay parallel to your work. There’s a push button on the head that lets the scale rotate and lock into other angles in 15 deg. increments.

So, draw a base line on the X-axis and need to draw a 45 angle, push the button and swing the head to a 45, release the button and the head locks at that angle. There’s a protractor on the base with minutes graduations so you can read or draw angles in between.

When I work from an existing drawing, I tape it to the table and rotate the head until the bottom or side scale line up with the appropriate line, then lock the angle of the head. I have scales in fractional inches, millimeters and decimal inches.

I was going to use the drafting machine to dimension a computer scan of a part and discovered one of the pulley bands was snapped. The two arms have tensioning rods so the bands can be tightened on the pulleys. If they slip, you lose angular position. My guess is the bands are stainless and looked to be silver soldered together.

Busted band doesn't run too well on the pulley. . .
20200530_153642.jpg
Looking at the other band, looked to be silver soldered together
20200530_154624.jpg

My fix was to spot weld the band. My spot welder is plugged into a foot pedal so weld time is controlled by the tap time of my foot. I can’t adjust current, only weld time. Well, a tap of the foot for under a half-second blew through the band. I was able to get some really quick taps of the foot to weld around the big hole I made, so it’s holding for now. Cleaned up the inside surface with a Scotchbrite wheel.

Yeah, not my best spot weld. Hit a few more around the hole and it's holding fine
20200530_160304.jpg

The tensioning is done with a steel rod with a bolt on one end. The bolt head has a keyway cut, to tighten the band you stick a nail or small Allen wrench through a hole in the base casting into the keyway, then turn the rod to unscrew the bolt.

The steel rod and bolt are used to tension the pulley band
20200530_161429.jpg

Slip the band over the pulleys and turn the white knob to unscrew the bolt to tighten the band
20200530_162547.jpg

Use an Allen wrench in the base to catch the key way in the bolt so it didn't turn with the rod
20200530_162557.jpg

Works great again and works really well for me getting quick dimensions off an existing part. Pictures here are of a 4x scale Erector set part. I flattened an original part and scanned it on our computer, then scaled up in Photoshop for the hardcopy. I’ve got another thread showing the Erector set part I was making.

Yes, I know it's ancient technology, but I got the dimensions for this drawing in about 15 minutes. I'm accurate to about 0.010" which was "close enough" for my project. Still need to learn Fusion 360 or Solidworks one of these days. . .
20200530_170458.jpg
20200530_194449.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Bruce

Back