precision keyless chuck with R8 shank

Well I guess I have been doing it wrong. I am a newbee and the PM is my first mill. I never did tork down on it real hard. Just a bit of a "snug". Had some bits spin on me on a cheap hand drill with keyless, I guess thats how I may of picked up the habit.

Largest holes I have drilled with the large PM chuck is 3/4". I was using a silver and deming drill bit. Worked great. :)

When the shop is at 20'F, you gotta use the spanner on the chuck.

When the shop is at 20'F, you gotta use the spanner on the chuck.
I need more than a spanner on the chuck when it’s that cold, I need long underware!

I must be the only one who hates keyless chucks, I bought 3 or 4 of the a couple of Rohms and at least 1 Albrecht, I could never get them to open up, without a pair of channellocks, I ended up giving them away. I went with Rohm keyed chucks

@kb58 - Thanks for those links. I bought the $70 version and am very happy with it!

Of course, compared to the Chineseum chuck that was included with the tooling when I bought my used mill, pretty much anything would be an improvement!

@kb58 - Thanks one more time for pointing out that EXCELLENT chuck.

I've recently gotten interested in RC boats but being the cheap esso bee that I am, I don't want to spend a lot of money on them. Scratch building stuff out of what I have laying around with minimum expense is the current plan.

prop.jpg

I built this prop shaft and stuffing box today. The coupler is a piece of 3/8 brass rod bored .125 on the shaft end and 3mm on the motor end. That was done on the lathe. Where the precision chuck came in was drilling and threading the 3mm x .50 hole for the set screw.

Very basic, beginner level stuff I know, but I'd NEVER have been able to do it without my mill and that wonderful chuck. Confirming yet again that money spent on GOOD tools is money well spent.

Back