precision keyless chuck with R8 shank

I purchase one of PM's keyless chucks with my lathe, surprised that it came with a spanner wrench. I've been using the wrench, don't know how tight it is witihout..... No complaints.

I have one also on my PM727v mill. No complaints. I am a hobbyist but my chuck has been admiried by other more expierienced machinists. I always snug my drills down with tools provided. I dont rely on hand tightening.

I have one also on my PM727v mill. No complaints. I am a hobbyist but my chuck has been admiried by other more expierienced machinists. I always snug my drills down with tools provided. I dont rely on hand tightening.

You tighten down a keyless chuck with the spanner wrench?

I have 2 ultra precision chucks, and think they are great. I've never tightened anything with the spanner. I did have to use the spanner once to loosen a large drill that caught.

Does anyone use one of these chucks in your mill? Are you happy with it for drilling holes? Says it has .001 runout. please let me know if you would buy it again or if you regret having bought it. thanks

I have several Albrecht keyless, so don't know about the PM chucks, but I think you would like a 5/8" shank a lot better in the long haul, doesnt use as much Z axis. I do have a 5/8" Albrecht chuck with R8 shank, never gets used.

BTW, drill chuck errors tend to be affected more so by inaccurate hole placement, and/or the drill bit "walking", and applies to all drill chucks regardless of quality.
I say, Amen Brother!! Drills are rough, quick and dirty, metal moving tools. They are not "precision", in a machinist sense. I use the heck outta them, because I am usually not a machinist, in ANY sense. :rolleyes:
I can see the attraction of a high quality drill chuck, but personally I feel that if I need a hole located "precisely", I will murder it in with a drill, and then bore to size. I don't do much of this sort of work, so maybe the last sentence in the previous paragraph is all I shoulda posted:cautious:

Yes, I hold the spindle with the tool provided. Then just snug the drill chuck with the other spanner that hooks to the drill chuck. If your drill should spin and not hold tight you can bugger up the shank of the drill. Sometimes if I am just spotting somthing soft with a center drill I just hand tighten then install drill and give it a snug. Figured that was the way its meant to be done because of the tools provided.

Yes, I hold the spindle with the tool provided. Then just snug the drill chuck with the other spanner that hooks to the drill chuck. Figured that was the way its meant to be done because of the tools provided.

Keyless chucks normally don't require tools to operate properly and I suspect the spanners are meant to loosen a chuck that is locked around a big drill when it gets stuck in the work. I bet your chuck would work fine with just your mitts.

For the record, I would like to know if when you say “runout is .001” you mean either 1) plus or minus .001, or 2) plus or minus .0005.
Has to be one or the other, and we should be clear on terminology.

Back