precision keyless chuck with R8 shank

Yes, I hold the spindle with the tool provided. Then just snug the drill chuck with the other spanner that hooks to the drill chuck. If your drill should spin and not hold tight you can bugger up the shank of the drill. Sometimes if I am just spotting somthing soft with a center drill I just hand tighten then install drill and give it a snug. Figured that was the way its meant to be done because of the tools provided.

Yup, like Mike said, you don't need to use the spanner to tighten the chuck, it's meant for loosening. Not good practice IMO. Keyless chucks are designed to self tighten, they get tighter as more torque is applied to the jaws by the drill bit. This can be a nuisance sometimes. I've had my keyless chuck in the lathe self tighten so hard that I had one heck of a time getting it loose with the spanner, jaws indented the drill bit shank also. Never again will I use S&D drills in a keyless chuck, I've been trying to avoid using them altogether anyway.

I originally bought a Glacern integral shank keyless chuck for mill use cause it's shorter. But the integral chuck doesn't have a fixed collar to grip for tightening. Eventually I got sick of reaching up to use the spindle stop or putting in low gear to tighten the chuck (by hand). I switched to the normal style that has the fixed collar. The added stick out doesn't bother me at all which I originally thought it would. I love this one so much better, much quicker to snug down. Which reminds me, I need to dig that integral chuck out of hiding & sell it.

Ok, thanks for the advice mikey. I guess that all kind of makes sense.

I, and Will too, it seems, have learned about having to pry a keyless chuck open after a big drill locks up the chuck. At least you have a spanner; I have to use a strap wrench on my Albrechts. Now I avoid big drills and either bore or use a rotabroach. Lesson learned! :)

I have a PM and one of the high price Albrecht. both about the same, The PM seems a bit bigger in size but they are both good. Have not even taken the wrench out of the package that came with the PM one. I know that drill chucks are not as precision thus have never checked the run out.

Keyless chucks normally don't require tools to operate properly and I suspect the spanners are meant to loosen a chuck that is locked around a big drill when it gets stuck in the work. I bet your chuck would work fine with just your mitts.

I've never used a spanner on my PM chucks. Not even sure where they are? ;)

Last edited:
I, and Will too, it seems, have learned about having to pry a keyless chuck open after a big drill locks up the chuck. At least you have a spanner; I have to use a strap wrench on my Albrechts. Now I avoid big drills and either bore or use a rotabroach. Lesson learned! :)

Haha, I tried to do the same when my Bison keyless got stuck but the strap wrench I have didn't work. Luckily I have a MSC close by, went & picked up a spanner and still had a heck of a time getting it loose. Yep. Lesson learned!

"Runout is .001" is shorthand for " Runout is TIR .001."

I bet your chuck would work fine with just your mitts.

Mikey, The first time I used the chuck it had a 1/2" drill in it and wanted to slip. I've not tried it on smaller drills, will check when I try something smaller.

Mikey, The first time I used the chuck it had a 1/2" drill in it and wanted to slip. I've not tried it on smaller drills, will check when I try something smaller.

Hey Tom. I hope it works for you. I don't own a PM chuck so I don't know how well they work. I do have 5 Albrecht and 2 Rohm keyless chucks and none of them slip with drills 1/2" and under. In fact, they don't slip with bigger drills, either, but if one of those big drills get stuck on exit on the far side of the hole then the chuck can self-tighten and make it a challenge to get the drill out. I had a big S&D drill get stuck on my drill press and had to pop the chuck off the arbor because my strap wrench wouldn't budge it and put it in a fixture that I use to service these chucks. That gets it open with no problems but it is such a pain that I gave away my set of S&D drills to my friend Bonehead. I'm waiting for the day he calls to tell me the drill is stuck in his chuck! ;)

I even stopped using big drills on the lathe. I have Morse Taper drills up to about an inch. If I have to go bigger, I bore it.

I used to use my Jacobs Super Chuck and it works fine with big drills but I've grown too spoiled by keyless chucks. Yeah, I know I'm lazy!

Well I guess I have been doing it wrong. I am a newbee and the PM is my first mill. I never did tork down on it real hard. Just a bit of a "snug". Had some bits spin on me on a cheap hand drill with keyless, I guess thats how I may of picked up the habit.

Not wrong, Tom. Just a new tool for you, that's all. You're gonna love that chuck!

Back