Precision Matthews PM-728VT CNC conversion

Thanks! ....yeah, I tend to get a little carried away :laughing:

Pretty cool. Lots of chip clearing cycles. With that thin of material and the flood coolant I'd drill those holes with a single plunge.

Last edited:
Yup, me too normally. I did not put any effort at all into the gcode. Just ran a file from another project that used 0.5" stock I think. :)

Yeah, that is the most likely explanation. I got a brass 1/4" NPT and was able to thread it maybe two revs before it got stuck. Have placed an order for a BSPT-threaded plastic elbow from McMaster -- will report back on the fit.

It's official: the thread on the table is BSPT.

This is the item I ordered from McMaster and that fits well: Plastic Barbed Hose Fitting, 90 Degree Elbow Adapter, 10 mm Hose ID, 1/4 BSPT Male, catalog# 5218K341

Last edited:
:offtopic: Serviced and re-calibrated my CNC Mini-Mill today. Here’s the second pass making a bolt-circle in a test coupon (1/4" Drill)
Love the enclosure. Mine is a 8020 frame that interferes with access to the sides and the back of the machine. Is yours suspended on pulleys?

Yes, two very long drawer slides, pulleys, a Bimba pneumatic cylinder and solenoid valve.

Hopefully this short video will make it a little clearer on what's going on with my Mini-Mill 4-Axis VMC setup (Apologies for the clutter in the shop today).
It's all mounted on a single, 2"x2" RHS vertical mast (the lexan enclosure, Bimba cylinder, pulleys, drawer slides on both sides of the mast, monitor, Dell PC, keyboard, everything). I've had this setup quite a few years now (since 2014, I believe) and no trouble with it at all. The coolant system consists of a small Rubbermaid cooler for the reservoir, a 12V RC fuel pump, and a SS kitchen strainer. The Loc-line was modified with a small tube added inside that carries the fluid, while the Loc-line itself carries the air. A solenoid valve controls this air and a relay controls the pump via a PWM speed control. Mach3 controls AirBlast and Fluid, therefore this Line-loc coaxial arrangement can readily give me Flood (fluid only), Mist (coolant and air) or Air Blast only, all Mach3 controlled. There was no plan really, I just started building and it just kept getting better and better as I mounted stuff on, LOL :) (the mast was put there initially just to enable me to lift the mill onto the bench).

BTW I also have 115V power for the PC and monitor as well as three USB cables running through the mast, and luckily they all play nicely with no interference :grin:

Last edited:
Very helpful @Cletus. Such a practical, clean, and ingenious solution.

I am still sorting out the best way to recirculate the coolant. It is really messy and frankly wish I could do without. However I do NOT intend to inhale atomized/sprayed coolant so sprayed coolant is out for me. I saw somewhere on YT (maybe on Stefan Gotteswinter's channel) that pulses of air with isopropyl alcohol mixed in clear the chips and cool aluminum. I think that might be least toxic solution in the home shop although ingested IPA (and inhaled is no different really) can be toxic also.

I had a sink drain mounted on mine that just broke as I manhandled the plastic lower bits. Plus the 1/16" lip prevented a complete drainage of hte fluid. So I am 3D printing something that will be the next version.

I also have a few additional parts on order: a Priest tools air power draw bar, and a Teknic z-axis brake. ONce instaleld with the new coolant drainage solution will make a walk through video of my setup.

Good morning All!
I trust this finds you all safe and keeping well?

Thank you for this wonderful build post and all the insightful advice as I too just received my PM-728V-T this past weekend and would like to convert it eventually to CNC. I also received the PM-1130 lathe which I will convert to CNC at a later time as well. If I may trouble those of you who have built enclosures for your PM-728's; what are the dimensions of your enclosures and the clearances you have allowed for on each side, front and back from the machine?

I'd like to construct the base(pan) first and then mount the machine on it. :)

Back