Projects? Tool improvements or real projects?

I believe we were rapping about whether making tools for tools with your tools counts as a project or is more like navel gazing.

I'm up to my eyeballs in projects. My problem is my attention shifts, and I tend to just go out in the shop to do stuff rather than to complete something. I bounce back and forth, and eventually get back on track. So I really keep dozens of projects afloat rather than working in a linear sense. Lately, I've been doing stuff for other people I like, and I don't mind doing, but it crushes my "progress" on my pet projects. Ah well, it's not the destination, it's the journey, eh?

Like many here I'm up to and past my eyeballs with projects that need to be completed. This time of years is spent mainly outdoors doing landscaping, building repairs, waterfront improvements, and all the stuff that can't be done in the winter months.

There is still some machining done, but mainly to repair things that broke, or make improvements on buildings and other infrastructure. One project completed a few weeks ago will be put to use later in the summer. I finished putting a 1-ton crane on the trailer. It will be used to move around the radial arm saws in a few weeks when the last project for them at the family cottage is completed. The pier decking is complete and installed. The remaining project is some new treads for the stairs leading from the deck to the ground level.

As for the porta bandsaws I'm surprised how many here use them. I've used them over the years and more often than not found they were far too small to accomplish the tasks at hand. I currently have a 11" x 7" horizontal bandsaw, a 10" vertical bandsaw, a 6" x 6" power hacksaw, and a 450mm cold saw. With all these saws I still find they are sometimes too small to cut the stock I need. Over the years I've had to make fixtures to hold and cut 12" and 14" plate.

As mentioned in another post the newest project is to get a 6.25 KW military generator up and running. The original plan was to have it home and nearly completed by this time. Like most projects reality and life gets in the way. The generator is still setting at my friend's shop, and I won't even be able to think about picking it up until late into next month. Who knows how long it will actually take to complete the project.

I believe we were rapping about whether making tools for tools with your tools counts as a project or is more like navel gazing.

I'm up to my eyeballs in projects. My problem is my attention shifts, and I tend to just go out in the shop to do stuff rather than to complete something. I bounce back and forth, and eventually get back on track. So I really keep dozens of projects afloat rather than working in a linear sense. Lately, I've been doing stuff for other people I like, and I don't mind doing, but it crushes my "progress" on my pet projects. Ah well, it's not the destination, it's the journey, eh?
Before I moved I had what I called my "Museum of 80% completed projects". Moving all my crap forced me to determine what was actually going to *ever* be completed, so my wall of shame was diminished. But I'm working on building it back up!

GST

As for the porta bandsaws I'm surprised how many here use them. I've used them over the years and more often than not found they were far too small to accomplish the tasks at hand. I currently have a 11" x 7" horizontal bandsaw, a 10" vertical bandsaw, a 6" x 6" power hacksaw, and a 450mm cold saw. With all these saws I still find they are sometimes too small to cut the stock I need. Over the years I've had to make fixtures to hold and cut 12" and 14" plate.

Nice to see that I'm not the only saw horder. :)
I have a HF 4x6, and Kalamazoo 6x10 horizontal bandsaws, an Excel 4x4 and a Keller 7x7 power hacksaw, and a 14" Davis & Wells vertical bandsaw.

I'd like to add a mitering bandsaw someday, something like an Ellis but those are $$$

I had one of the tiny saws (a Jet) but sold it when I bought my Ellis. That saw did yeoman's service and was still doing so for the friend I sold it to last I knew. They may offer lots of room for improvement, but they'll get the job done. Hard to beat them for value.

GsT

As for the porta bandsaws I'm surprised how many here use them. I've used them over the years and more often than not found they were far too small to accomplish the tasks at hand. I currently have a 11" x 7" horizontal bandsaw, a 10" vertical bandsaw, a 6" x 6" power hacksaw, and a 450mm cold saw. With all these saws I still find they are sometimes too small to cut the stock I need.
It's amazing how diverse the world is eh? :grin:

Nice to see that I'm not the only saw horder. :)
I have a HF 4x6, and Kalamazoo 6x10 horizontal bandsaws, an Excel 4x4 and a Keller 7x7 power hacksaw, and a 14" Davis & Wells vertical bandsaw.

I'd like to add a mitering bandsaw someday, something like an Ellis but those are $$$
Those aren't the only saws in the shop, but they're by far the most used. Added in the mix are a 10" radial arm saw, a 14" radial arm saw, a 10" table saw, a 14" chop saw, a 20" scroll saw, 4 chainsaws, a few circular saws, a couple jigsaws, a couple reciprocating saws, and a dozen or more handsaws. Several were inherited from my grandfather who was a cabinet maker. I'm sure there are more, but I'd have to look in the corners, cabinets, and drawers to find them.

Last edited:
Back