QCTP base question

litewings

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Received this QCTP with my PM1340GT lathe. A little concerned about the attaching base not being the size and shape of the tool post. A lot less contact on the compound that has me wondering about uneven wear/damage to the compound over time. I dont have a mill, or I'd build a new base. Is this a commonly seen type of attaching base?
IMG_3342.JPG

Make your own t-nut to fit the compound rest. Make sure that when it is pulled up by tightening it down that the top of it does not rise above the compound rest, or it will not hold the tool post down to the compound.

No, I've not seen a t-nut like that. You say that you don't have a mill, but do you know someone reasonably close who could machine one for you?

I don't have anyone around that I know of besides machine shops in the business. Will have to give them a try to see how much $ to machine a T-nut. This nut I have is just strange. No clue what the notch is for on the one edge. Tool post otherwise seems good so far.

Looks like it was made on a lathe -- a perfectly good way to make one if you don't have a milling machine on hand. As for the notch, maybe they made a mistake with the hole placement but decided to use it anyway? It happens...

-frank

A common 1st project is to make one of those on a lathe. All you need is a hunk of material as wide as the T-slot (minus a little, or filed to a little less), then turn down the center boss and thread it. Consider that as a next project!

If it’s a flat piece without ledges. Chuck it up in the lathe on edge take a cut, flip it make a parrallel cut, get to your width and done.

That round T nut with the notch in it is from a four way tool post. The notch is to clear a detent that indexes the tool post in each of the four positions. The detent also captures the T nut so that is does nut slip out of its channel. It will work fine for your QCTP if the bolt is the right size. Is there a corresponding hole in one of the lips on your compound?
A rectangular T nut blank was supplied with my new QCTP but I used the old 4 way T nut until I got equipped to mill the blank.

Received this QCTP with my PM1340GT lathe. A little concerned about the attaching base not being the size and shape of the tool post. A lot less contact on the compound that has me wondering about uneven wear/damage to the compound over time. I dont have a mill, or I'd build a new base. Is this a commonly seen type of attaching base?
Did you just get the machine and the QCTP from P-M or did you score them used?

Make your own t-nut to fit the compound rest. Make sure that when it is pulled up by tightening it down that the top of it does not rise above the compound rest, or it will not hold the tool post down to the compound.
I did a deep cleaning on my PM-1030V today and I saw that I have just about stripped both of these T-nuts due to me overtightening the
nuts on top.

I learned that you only need to loosen these nuts just enough to allow the compound rest to rotate (this, of course, when you want to rotate the angle of the compound rest).

So I will have to make some T-nuts, as well.

Back