QCTP base question

That looks just like the nut that came with the tool post for my shopfox gunsmith lathe (G4004g clone).

Hopefully, when you remove your 4 way tool post (leaving the T-nut and bolt in there), your new QCTP toolpost will fit right on.

When I did this, my new QCTP T-nut bolt happened to thread into the T-nut that came on the lathe.
That would be fantastic and uncharacteristically lucky on my part but I'll try it.

I do not have a collet chuck. I just got this lathe last week. Just finished the VFD conversion this past weekend and DRO and tach install, and received the QCTP and cutters in the mail yesterday, was bummed out about the t-nut as I was hoping at least for that round nut. Going to move the lathe into final position today. No extra accessories yet. I have an ER32 collet chuck for my wood lathe, but haven't made the expense for the metal lathe yet. I think I want one for what I will be doing (mostly pen making), so this might just tip the balance. I was looking at the ER40 collet from Shars. Are there others for the D1-4 mount?

So your QCTP toolpost arrived without the nut? I would expect that a nut would be part of the deal there. I think that if you call the supplier, they will send you that nut.

I would guess that there was a nut to begin with but that it got separated from the QCTP toolpost somehow.

I often buy nuts & bolts on eBay; I like to select ones with a high hardness rating (e.g. Grade 8 or 10.9). I am sure that you could find a flanged nut there.

35858817-E369-4623-83F9-4DDE052408E1.png

Last edited:
It's from Precision-Matthews. It came without a round nut as shown by the original poster but with a chunk of steel that I need to mill to make the nut, with the bolt going through already. I already contacted them about it. They were polite but indifferent. They are out of stock on the already-milled nut and did not offer to make and send one.

It's really common to get an unmachined toolpost nut. Aloris even charges extra (despite you dropping a grand on a tool post!). Presumably PM knows the dimensions of their lathe enough to do it for you, but *shrug*.

That said, if you WANT a round nut (they tend to hold worse, but would work presumably), you have a lathe :) easy enough to turn one from dimensions.

It's from Precision-Matthews. It came without a round nut as shown by the original poster but with a chunk of steel that I need to mill to make the nut, with the bolt going through already. I already contacted them about it. They were polite but indifferent. They are out of stock on the already-milled nut and did not offer to make and send one.

I just finished milling a T-nut for my new lathe. Personally, I would not have attempted it without a milling machine.

My T-nit was straight on all 4 sides. I don’t know how a rounded side on 2 sides is a benefit.

Short of you using this as a fine excuse to acquire a milling machine, I am sure that if you ask someone here to make it, then somebody will as it is a very straightforward job on a mill.

In any case, I think you will find that your new QCTP stud threads right into your old T-nut.

Thanks all. There are a bunch of options here so I'll see what I can figure out. I don't need an excuse to get a mill but a bunch of money :) (that and the fact that it's already enough of a pain to get a lathe into my garage...)

Maybe this will be the *one* time when I'm able to saw something straight and true by hand, but I doubt it :)
That's what the FILE is for. Or, use a belt sander to straighten things up. It isn't all that important that the edges be straight and true - it just has to fit into the T-slot on the compound.

True, true. I have a 12 inch disc sander and (mostly) 90 degree jig that I use for pen blanks.

Back