QCTP base question

"Buy a mill because this part needs made and you want to mill it. (to be fair I never said I was a good influence)"

This was one of my first thoughts, because this makes it a "need", not just a want right?
I've had a few hours of use with the "O" nut QCTP and it works fine. Just looks unfinished. Pretty sure it will eventually get replaced.

Thanks for everyones input

I bought my QCTP from PM and I wish it had come with that round nut, which would mean I could actually use the QCTP. Same situation here without a mill or anyone I know with a mill, and I got the rectangular hunk of steel. Looks like being able to reuse the T-nut from the regular tool post would be ideal, but I haven't taken it apart to look yet. Looks I might have to live with the 4 way tool post for the time being. Apparently PM was selling a kit with a milled nut but I was too late on that.

I bought my QCTP from PM and I wish it had come with that round nut, which would mean I could actually use the QCTP. Same situation here without a mill or anyone I know with a mill, and I got the rectangular hunk of steel. Looks like being able to reuse the T-nut from the regular tool post would be ideal, but I haven't taken it apart to look yet. Looks I might have to live with the 4 way tool post for the time being. Apparently PM was selling a kit with a milled nut but I was too late on that.
With the 4 way post, you can put an end-mill cutter in your lathe chuck (dial it into a 4 jaw!), clamp the T-nut to the 'side',and use your cross-side to mill the nut. Otherwise, if you get measurements, I'm sure a post in 'can you make this for me' would get a response. You live in Arizona so I'm sure there are a half dozen members within short distance of you that would help out.

Oh, I didn't think of that, thanks. I don't have a 4-jaw chuck. I might get one, but I can also try using the stock chuck. I wasn't aware of that forum, I'll check it out too.

Oh, I didn't think of that, thanks. I don't have a 4-jaw chuck. I might get one, but I can also try using the stock chuck. I wasn't aware of that forum, I'll check it out too.
Do you have a collet chuck? Endmills don't like being held 'off center', so unless it is pretty close you're likely to break it

Hopefully, when you remove your 4 way tool post (leaving the T-nut and bolt in there), your new QCTP toolpost will fit right on.

When I did this, my new QCTP T-nut bolt happened to thread into the T-nut that came on the lathe.

Forget needing a mill. A HACKSAW and a FILE is all you need to fit YOUR compound. You can also use an ANGLE GRINDER to cut it to size.

I do not have a collet chuck. I just got this lathe last week. Just finished the VFD conversion this past weekend and DRO and tach install, and received the QCTP and cutters in the mail yesterday, was bummed out about the t-nut as I was hoping at least for that round nut. Going to move the lathe into final position today. No extra accessories yet. I have an ER32 collet chuck for my wood lathe, but haven't made the expense for the metal lathe yet. I think I want one for what I will be doing (mostly pen making), so this might just tip the balance. I was looking at the ER40 collet from Shars. Are there others for the D1-4 mount?

Forget needing a mill. A HACKSAW and a FILE is all you need to fit YOUR compound. You can also use an ANGLE GRINDER to cut it to size.
Maybe this will be the *one* time when I'm able to saw something straight and true by hand, but I doubt it :)

Back