QCTP Dorian? Aloris? Other?

Reddinr, if you don't like the handle position, you should be able to change it by skimming the nut or shimming under the nut or post.

I have a Phase II wedge style CXA on my 15" lathe and a 40 Position "E" on my 11" lathe (the one from China - referenced above). Both work very well. I have never had trouble with either one.

I prefer the 40P. Why the 40 postion holder over the Phase II? since I can reposition for certain tools (such as a Diamond tool holder, or a quick chamfer) without swinging the compound or the post. The 40P is available with a good selection of holders (not as many as the Aloris style, but still a very useful selection) and they are not a crazy price. If you intend to make your own holders - the 40P would be tough.

I'm not sure where you're looking as far as pricing is concerned, but an Aloris CXA 5 piece set (tool post and 4 tool holders) is $1050.00 at Travers tools. The Phase II CXA 6 piece set (tool post and 5 tool holders) is $597.00. The Aloris set is $450.00 more expensive and has 1 less tool holder.

eBay. Aloris tool post is about $571.00, while the Phase II kit is $500. He already has the tool holders so the cost difference is minor.

This was about 3 years ago, Phase II aren’t cheap. I sometimes rely on my memory for information.

i got my bxa Aloris with 2 holders for $404.00 US$ about 14 months ago. Wasn't much more than a quality offshore BXA with 4 holders, 2 of which I'd never use (boring bar holder and bump knurler). So I bought the Aloris.

Does anyone have experience with the ones Precision Mattews sells? I am close to saving up enough of my pennies for one of their lathes and deciding whether to buy theirs or get a Phase II.

Yes. I thought I might tear into that as an option and I might do that even if I get a new one. But, there are a couple of other problems with it. The handle does not index so it tends to end up over the stock or in an awkward position when tightened. I might be able to fix that too, not sure. Griz. says "that's the way it is designed". The third thing is that the position of the holder when semi-snug and fully snugged changes quite a lot. I'm hoping a wedge type might help improve that too. Not sure who's QCTP they use but I want to avoid that one. I'll be looking at the Phase II's more closely. Really I would rather buy other tooling with the savings if a Phase II works well.
Mine is a Grizzly BXA and yes, the locking arm often ended up in an inconvenient location. I tapped extra holes 30 degrees before and after the factory hole. As it turned out the hole 30 degrees clockwise from the factory location worked fine and I never moved it again. Why didn't the factory do that?

I just bought a new Aloris CXA QCTP kit, but I haven’t used it yet. It came with six tool posts, and I paid about $1,170 with tax and delivery.

Does anyone have experience with the ones Precision Mattews sells? I am close to saving up enough of my pennies for one of their lathes and deciding whether to buy theirs or get a Phase II.

I bought an AXA QCTP from Precision Matthews and I have used it extensively with zero issues.

I almost always work with steel, and this import AXA QCTP from PM appears to be bombproof.

Last edited:
eBay. Aloris tool post is about $571.00, while the Phase II kit is $500. He already has the tool holders so the cost difference is minor.

If all the OP is looking for is a CXA tool post rather than the complete kit Travers has the Phase II CXA tool post only for a little over $300.00. That's roughly half the price of the Aloris tool post.

Agree that the MultiFix has proprietary tool holders, but the prices you guys are listing aren't less expensive than a MultiFix post and holder set.

Back