QCTP Dorian? Aloris? Other?

Yes. I thought I might tear into that as an option and I might do that even if I get a new one. But, there are a couple of other problems with it. The handle does not index so it tends to end up over the stock or in an awkward position when tightened. I might be able to fix that too, not sure. Griz. says "that's the way it is designed". The third thing is that the position of the holder when semi-snug and fully snugged changes quite a lot. I'm hoping a wedge type might help improve that too. Not sure who's QCTP they use but I want to avoid that one. I'll be looking at the Phase II's more closely. Really I would rather buy other tooling with the savings if a Phase II works well.
It really sounds to me like the pistons are switched to the wrong hole. Both pistons ride on the same cam but are offset by 90 deg. For both pistons to lock with the handle always ending up in the same position, the pistons have to be a different length.
The handle is not designed to end up hanging out over the work. That puts it 180 deg. off which is also easy to fix. Be glad to discuss in more detail with you.

Yes. I thought I might tear into that as an option and I might do that even if I get a new one. But, there are a couple of other problems with it. The handle does not index so it tends to end up over the stock or in an awkward position when tightened. I might be able to fix that too, not sure.
I've had to solve that problem a couple times with QCTPs. Nowadays I routinely add extra handle holes at 90º intervals (see post #6 in https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/phase-2-qctp-adjustments-modifications.30523/#post-262027 ). Then screw the handle into whatever hole is appropriate.
The third thing is that the position of the holder when semi-snug and fully snugged changes quite a lot. I'm hoping a wedge type might help improve that too. Not sure who's QCTP they use but I want to avoid that one. I'll be looking at the Phase II's more closely. Really I would rather buy other tooling with the savings if a Phase II works well.
Not sure I understand what's moving. If it's the position of the tool holder on the "head," the wedge type will definitely do better for you. It also sounds like the dovetails on your QCTP are a bit loosy-goosy. And a new, decent quality QCTP will solve that for you.

Just in case it's the position of the head on the compound slide that's shifting (rotating), it's often because the top of the slide isn't quite flat. This sometimes happens on smaller lathes, where there's a round post permanently attached to the top of the slide, the top of the slide is a bit thin, and the force of tightening the QCTP onto the mounting post bulges the top surface of the slide. If this is the case, you can correct the problem as shown in post #13 at https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/couple-questions-about-my-9x20-lathe.43207/#post-372165

I had considered the Dorian Quadra (at the time there was a new one listed on eBay at 1/2 price), but at the end of the Day they all do the same thing, and although indexing is a nice you just loosen the nut and turn the tool post to whatever desired position. The Dorian Quadra style (and also Aloris indexing) allows multiple holders to be mounted at the same time using their proprietary "expensive" holders. Not something I see needed nor fiscally sound, unless you have money to burn. The Dorian indexing using ball indents, I have seen a few where under high torque they twisted, also one where the post broke. The Aloris uses indexing pins. The standard Dorian uses two dowel pins to align the QCTP, but I do not use them.

I check prices, this would be my suggestion for CXA, the Dorian at $494. Aloris also has a July sale 10% off, but ends up being $564.

Aloris:

Thanks @mksj for the link to Cutting Edge Tool and the Dorian post. On Monday night at 10 pm I ordered a Dorian BXA tool post from them at $358.00 with free shipping. It arrived this morning at 8 am. I’ve been looking for a new post for a few months, I just could not pass up the price. It was drop shipped from Dorian.

999E5A63-D99A-4EE5-97BB-8FC4C8923FFB.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a nice fit and finish, Jeff. Dorian had some quality control issues there for a while. That red knob will automatically give you more accuracy, too, so that's good!

Thanks all. I've been away for a few days so just getting back online today. I thought about fixing the handle position and maybe shaving off the cam a bit for a better lock but that still leaves the loosey-goosey fit of the tool holder to the QCTP. So, I think I'm going to go with a new CXA, probably a Dorian although it is hard to choose. So, I'll go with quality and pretty.

Z2V. Dorian will customize the T-Nut for $60 I think. Did you get that done or are you making/modifying your own?

I did the T-nut myself. I got it mounted last week.

I’ve got a couple of Bostar’s and an Aloris. The Aloris is old and was in a commercial shop. But all of them perform good. I have had to use a dab of blue Loctite on all of them to keep the spanner nut from unscrewing. But, I’ve noticed some differences in the tool holders. Some of the cheap Asian generics seem looser to me. I’ve never miced them.
That said, my favorite generic is the Accusize Industrial Tool holders. A couple of bucks more but the fit and finish is just much better.

Z2V. CET is much cheaper than any other supplier. Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but are you 100% satisfied with the holder from them?

Re: tool holders, I had one Shars holder that I had to stone quite a bit, else it jammed on the holder. Others were fine.

Back