Quarantine Projects!

The thing that makes me very discerning and makes me save "shineys" is a lot of stuff that was common as dirt when I was a mech or building machinery is impossible to find now. Case in point was we used these things to mount electronic eyes for traffic cops on box conveyers. We called them knuckles and they were laying in every nook and cranny of every packing house and at the plant. I ended up with a couple and found a really good use for it and tried to find more. I spent hours looking, nuthin'. So what may seem like junk to some is gold to me and it only takes a project or two and those things are used up. I ended up buying the material to make some if I want.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
That’s a nifty little doodad! Kinda like a weld on hinge but not quite...

Got a little more done on my taper project.

I made most of the draw bar. I had to cut a strip out from a 3/16" x 4" flat bar. Why couldn't they just use a standard 1-1/4" bar?! If for some reason this doesn't work out I might just buy a 1-1/4" cold rolled bar and file out the receptacle.

EM520712.JPG

A few of the holes get tapped to 8-32, the rest are simple through holes. The drawing says to make the hole near the end to 0.501" for a 1/2" pin but the hole in my cross slide is right at 3/8" so I'm gonna keep the hole in the draw bar a corresponding 3/8" and call it good. That way I can use a simple 3/8" pin like the pin I used for the clamp part.

Here it is mocked up. So far it looks like it should I think.

EM520713.JPG

Now I have to connect the two 3/8" holes to make a slot about 7.5" long.

Anyone got any ideas other than cut off wheel? Don't have no mill.

"Now I have to connect the two 3/8" holes to make a slot about 7.5" long. "
Damn that's a lot of filing...
I am very curious to hear other ideas.
Robert

Now I have to connect the two 3/8" holes to make a slot about 7.5" long.

Anyone got any ideas other than cut off wheel? Don't have no mill.

End mill in a drill press!

<ducks random junk being thrown at him>

Ok, yeah, don't do that for lots of reasons. Quite unsafe.

Best bet is probably to drill as close as you can to each other, then cutoff wheel, die grinder, and file.

I've clamped an angle iron guide fence to this guy to finish precision slots after roughing them in with drilling and a suicide disk.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    723.6 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
Thanks for the suggestions. I know there's no "good" way to do it. Probably why I've let this project sit for almost 10 years!

To cut the strip I used a 1/2" square tube as a straight edge for the cut off wheel. Refined it carefully on the belt sander. I got pretty close. I'm around 1.118" on one end and maybe 1.124" on the other. Not bad for a hand held grinder and belt sander, I think. BTW the target was 1.125"

I 'll probably try the same thing again, maybe taking a little more time with the cutting. The fit of the slot is probably not super critical since a regular threaded bolt rides in the slot. It's not even a shoulder bolt, so some slop is to be expected.

Back