Quick change tool posts & indexable tools?

A 12 in. machine is right on the cusp. You could get by with an AXA, but might need a spacer under the TP to get to optimum height. A BXA is a larger and therefore more rigid TP. Of course, the machine itself may be the limiting factor when it comes to rigidity. Your call.

According to Dorian and Aloris, you will not gain any rigidity going from a AXA to a BXA, in a home shop situation, as on most lathes the carriage and the compound will flex long before the tool post will.

Last edited:
I have an import piston style cxa tool post that came with one of my lathes. When you set the tooling up on center it moves when you engage the piston by .003.

I was using one of edge products height adjustment tools. I use it every time to make sure the tool height stays consistent.

Saw this today on CL.
You might want to check to see if he'd ship.

Check Banggood for indexable tools.

I have the same lathe as the op and an AXA is a perfect fit. I also use both piston and wedge style and find no difference in them.

I have an Aloris BXA tool post that I bought on Craig's List. The Aloris BXA 1 tool holders are $72.00 and the Import BXA 1 (250-201) tool holders are $17.00. What is the difference between them? Are the Aloris brand name holders worth the extra money?

Thanks
Roger L

According to Dorian and Aloris, you will not gain any rigidity going from a AXA to a BXA, in a home shop situation, as on most lathes the carriage and the compound will flex long before the tool post will.

Yes this is true, my Grizzly G0750g is a BXA, ncjeeper has an enco that is the same size and has an AXA on his. We both get the same performance. Only difference is the slots tend to be a bit wider on the BXA block. Of course you can make or modify yours to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same lathe as the op and an AXA is a perfect fit. I also use both piston and wedge style and find no difference in them.

IHMO I prefer the wedge because it provides more surface to lock, this is important when using parting tools

I have an Aloris BXA tool post that I bought on Craig's List. The Aloris BXA 1 tool holders are $72.00 and the Import BXA 1 (250-201) tool holders are $17.00. What is the difference between them? Are the Aloris brand name holders worth the extra money?

Thanks
Roger L

I have the import holders also. Since I’ve never had the real McCoys I can only comment on hearsay. The fit and finish and the set screws are better on the Aloris ones.

Most folks change out the set screws on the import tool holders.

Back