Quick change tool posts & indexable tools?

In my shop I use some tool posts, but I made a lot of custom blocks. I posted this collection of tools on video on another thread but for information here is the link again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw your post and made some of my own. One was a 3/4 square TPG insert holder, 8 were made from 1 1/8 round bar stock, previously owned, little cost in them. I put HSS tools in them.

Set screws are cheap and easy to replace. the block of steel that makes up an toolholder is less important - if it fits, it's good enough (except aluminum tool holders, and I think they are inferior)...

Haven't ordered a tool post yet, but went ahead and made a T nut...

JrGo8Oq.jpg

e3rM1QP.jpg

WvLhXgu.jpg

9P1nPeK.jpg

pnvpS3y.jpg

No comment on the toolpost dilemma, but you may be wasting your money with indexable tooling. There can be had, a set of pre ground hss toolbits. That’s where I’d put that money. That’ll also provide you with some examples in hand to emulate.

Do the import holders have inch or metric set screws? I would hate to have another Alan wrench for the metric set screws.

Thanks
Roger L

but you may be wasting your money with indexable tooling

That has crossed my mind, but looks like a standard threading tool and possibly a cutoff may be OK...assuming the inserts are easy to find (and not overly expensive). As far as basic turning tools, I honestly have no idea.

I have an Aloris BXA tool post that I bought on Craig's List. The Aloris BXA 1 tool holders are $72.00 and the Import BXA 1 (250-201) tool holders are $17.00. What is the difference between them? Are the Aloris brand name holders worth the extra money?

Thanks
Roger L

Quality is the difference (of course :)). I have seen import holders with crooked milled slots & crooked adjuster nuts but for the most part most are ok. As mentioned the set screws on most import holders suck. I always replace them with flat tip set screws before even using them. USA holders are much harder. The import ones are hardened but not that hard. But many people make their own holders & don't bother to harden them. I have a USA QCTP but most of my holders are import with only a handful of Dorian holders.

For the BXA size specifically, import ones are shorter in length than Aloris or Dorian holders. There are 2 versions of the import holders. The other version is longer in length but they use smaller diameter set screws (M8). I'm not a fan of this style. I prefer the shorter ones with larger set screws (M10). Shars actually sell both versions these days. When I had an AXA I never encountered different length holders like with BXA.

Do the import holders have inch or metric set screws? I would hate to have another Alan wrench for the metric set screws.

Thanks
Roger L

The import holders have metric set screws. However....

Most of my import holders are from Shars, purchased back before they carried both versions. As mentioned above I prefer the ones with the larger set screws. What was odd is that the set screws were metric thread M10x1.5 but had inch drive. Usually M10 set screws have 5mm hex drive & that's what the replacement set screws I use are. However the M10 set screws that came with the holders have 3/16" hex drive.

Originally I thought that the screws were just poorly made and they are but usually the hex drive is oversize with poorly made screws. But that's not the case here, 5mm don't even fit them but 3/16" fits them good. My Dorian USA holders are 3/16" drive. I've never seen screws sold with mismatched metric/inch threads & drives. Not sure if the current Shars BXA ones are still like that.

I agree with Will. About half my AXA tool holders are Aloris, the other half Phase II. Very little physical difference in the tool holder body and Phase II uses okay set screws. The height adjusters are far superior on the Aloris holders and they are consistently hardened but beyond that, no, not worth buying Aloris or Dorian just to hold a tool. A small lathe just doesn't have the guts to even remotely stress a tool holder so I would go cheap on these things.

I ended up going with the AXA, should be here in the next few days.

Back