R8 ER32 collet chuck source.

Shars, LMS. I got mine from LMS.

Cheapest is probably CTC tools. Theirs are $19. Shipping from Hong Kong can be hit or miss but last time I ordered from them, the stuff got here faster than stuff I ordered from California the same day.

They do Ebay as well but I can't shop there anymore as my credit union has a block on international buying on my debit card and I refuse to get a credit card.

If you have a big mill, you might as well go to ER40.
I just purchased a piece of junk from Amazon. Not sure the brand, anyway, where did you get yours? Not finding LMS tools anywhere.
Thanks

I just purchased a piece of junk from Amazon. Not sure the brand, anyway, where did you get yours? Not finding LMS tools anywhere.
Thanks
This set is the real deal, costs a lot more than the cheap wannabies but it is precise and stays that way if not abused.

and for R8-er32 collet chuck , try Glacerns , I was recommended both (techniks & Glacerns) and have zero regrets:

Last edited:
This set is the real deal, costs a lot more than the cheap wannabies but it is precise and stays that way if not abused.

Accusize is pretty good also.

That said, I got an adapter from shars (SKU 202-1404, now out of stock apparently) and with drill rod in the collet it clocked within the promised 0.002" runout.

Bought a cheap Chinese Er32-R8 collet....arrived and tried it out only to find out its pure crap. Like 1/32” run out. The end mill in a known decent collet is dancing. Chucked it up in lathe and checked it and it’s way out of whack
Then purchased a collet set with same R8 chuck from Amazon, @ 65.00. It’s running about 0.002 out. Better but not perfect. That said, I really only use these for holding end mills when I’m just tinkering with stuff that I want to hurry up and finish and I can easily adjust the cut accordingly.
If it was something high precision I can always use my R8 collets

Bought a cheap Chinese Er32-R8 collet....arrived and tried it out only to find out its pure crap. Like 1/32” run out. The end mill in a known decent collet is dancing. Chucked it up in lathe and checked it and it’s way out of whack
Then purchased a collet set with same R8 chuck from Amazon, @ 65.00. It’s running about 0.002 out. Better but not perfect. That said, I really only use these for holding end mills when I’m just tinkering with stuff that I want to hurry up and finish and I can easily adjust the cut accordingly.
If it was something high precision I can always use my R8 collets
Here’s a sample of what I received...this model is known under many brands. Runout? Couldn’t even get to that step!
DD04E6FF-A013-40DD-8D1D-0325C3C7B1B0.jpeg

Hard to tell but it looks like that is the normal eccentric in an ER nut. You pop the collet into it and it orients the collet nose square to the front of the nut, then you install the nut on the chuck and stick your tool into it and lock it down. Maybe give it a try?

Yeah that’s the way the er nuts are made. You kind of cock the collet ...sliding it in with the first part going in the intact part of that circular ring in the nut....and then snap down to get the rest of the nut to push down into that part that’s been cut out of the ring of the nut. Always snap collet into nut before screwing nut into chuck body.

So they didn’t finish matching it. There is a wall ( the part that looks off center) that stops collet from seating in nut. The nut wont even start threading onto the body WITH A COLLET IN PLACE. It does go on with no collet. It’s very strange. I could have put in in lathe and taken that out, but I had no faith in the quality after that.

Back