R8 ER32 collet chuck source.

Does it screw on without a collet?
Yep, nut alone goes on fine. That eccentric ring doesn’t move. It was about .025 to .03 thick and actual part of the nut. Had they bored it out that much deeper, there is a nice seat just beyond it. I tried moving it with my fingers, like I said it was the same material the nut was made out of and not even budging. Definitely gonna spend more on the next....the old adage fits here.

Bought R8-ER32 from Shars and have not used it. Bought Shars straight shank ER32 collet chuck for lathe and use it every couple of days.

That's how they are designed. You put the collet in the nut first, and then screw the jut one. You cannot put the collet in the die and then screw the nut on, it won't work.
Yes that ring is off center in the nut. Its designed like that. You twist the collet to get it in and out of nut.

Joe Hynes

Bought R8-ER32 from Shars and have not used it. Bought Shars straight shank ER32 collet chuck for lathe and use it every couple of days.
Yeah, I want to buy that Shars unit...out of stock. I think, for the price, that have some decent to very good items there.

ER collets are not self releasing like some other collets. So ER collet nuts are designed with that eccentic ring cause that's what what grips onto the collet & ejects/pulls it out of the taper when the nut is unscrewed. As the others said you must snap the ER collect into the ring before screwing the nut onto the chuck.

Yep, nut alone goes on fine. That eccentric ring doesn’t move. It was about .025 to .03 thick and actual part of the nut. Had they bored it out that much deeper, there is a nice seat just beyond it. I

Just to be clear, here. You put the collet in the nut, by sorta angling it past the eccentric ring and then snapping it in. The collet is then trapped in the nut, so you can sorta rattle it around and the collet doesn't come out.

And then, the nut will not screw onto the collet chuck?

If that's the case, it sounds like a bad one. Might just be the nut, though. It's often a good idea to get a) a few extra collet nuts, and b) some reasonably-high precision collet nuts. They're like twenty, twenty-five bucks. Couldn't hurt to get another and try it out.

I'm sorry...I guess I didn't clarify, every r8/er32 I saw on Amazon (maybe eBay AS well) makes it very clear to snap the collet into the nut before putting but onto spindle. I get that. I tried 4 different collets, wasn't happening. Don't think there wasn't some angry forcing gong on as well. Something wasn't right on that nut. I dunno, i trust little machine shop, maybe I'll go that route.

I have a number of er collet chucks. Some of the nuts are easygoing. A couple are pretty damned tricky. I have to really push hard. That said... the collet always must be empty. If you install an end mill and then try.... forget about it.
For what it’s worth.... I had the same issue.. went to Shars first because I always get good stuff from them. But yes they were out of the ER32 R8 collet chuck. I ended up with an okay Amazon unit. Not horrible.... but not exactly precise either.

On that note...why is Shars always out of things....many things. I find out of stock Shars tools in eBay for 100's of times mark up. There was an AXA 250-101 for like $800! I'd go Aloris for that price (well much lower)

Back