Rebuilding My Logan 820

Ok, I have the bed cleaned and painted, the short legs, cleaned primed and painted, and the long legs cleaned, primed and painted. So now to clear the bench and bring the QC gear box up.... Everything removed, and even got the sweet little drive screws out of the ID tag without ruining the tag....they really should have drilled the holes thru so you can tap the screws out from the back side...anywho, I found under this tag a good chunk of paint that is untouched, probably since it was new....Should I bother scanning it? Local paint shop has scanner so this is no big deal, but my guess is it will be an automotive paint from a year close to manufacture year of this lathe. In fact 1947 GM color is pretty dang close, so we will see...

Let me know...

Regards

Richard

Ok, I have the bed cleaned and painted, the short legs, cleaned primed and painted, and the long legs cleaned, primed and painted. So now to clear the bench and bring the QC gear box up.... Everything removed, and even got the sweet little drive screws out of the ID tag without ruining the tag....they really should have drilled the holes thru so you can tap the screws out from the back side...anywho, I found under this tag a good chunk of paint that is untouched, probably since it was new....Should I bother scanning it? Local paint shop has scanner so this is no big deal, but my guess is it will be an automotive paint from a year close to manufacture year of this lathe. In fact 1947 GM color is pretty dang close, so we will see...

Let me know...

Regards

Richard

If you can get a good photo I would take a picture with me. I remember paint chips but they usually are after the paint has dried.

Ok, no dice on the sample, not big enough, bummer, so here is the QC Gearbox after total tear down, cleaning, painting and reassembly. I do need 2 new pins for the 2 handles, I will put them on after I refurbish the knobs... So here is that photo.
QC Gearbox.jpg

Now the next photo is of a lathe in the shop of the guy that is going to blast my chip pan...Someone PLEASE tell me they also spot the deadly act in the photo???

Stupidity.....jpg

Can people REALLY be this uninformed????? Ughh

I own 11" Logan and its Probaly about the same age as yours I've had it for thirty plus years . And she's never been torn down and rebuilt , I really haven't used her in about 8 or 10 years . When I last used her we made some serious specialty cleaning rods and chamber and choke tube cleaning brushes. Plus we turned out a few hundred wad knockers. I feel bad for not being able to touch her with loving hands to wipe her down and re oil her. I was in the shop today and gave her a little look and she's still in great looking condition. A good covering of some gear oil and there's no rust or any other problem I can see. She misses our time but I'll be back with her soon. Just never had a real problem with mine ever. I wish other things lasted and worked as hard. Me included.

Well, making great strides this past week. Head stock is now mounted to the bed, I have attached the motor mounts, and the cool thing is instead of the normal belt, I got a 41 inch serpentine belt and used it.
I cant imagine wearing it out, and slippage should not be an issue. I had read many places of people super gluing one together, but just using one already together seems so much more logical.
Some interesting nuances I found were the counter shaft bracket in the book shows 2 oiless bushings. Mine had none. I will have to replace the shaft as the previous owner seems to have failed at lubrication at this critical point.
Since mine like most did not come with the original electric motor, I have some tinkering to get everything set they way I like it. This is a 3/4 hp motor and can run on single phase 220 which is my choice. It just does not sit on the mounting bracket the way I like it. Turret is completely cleaned, and painted, just awaiting final re-assembly, same with the saddle. Once motor is mounted, I will wire it and fire it....so stoked. Was worried about the taper attachment but I got lucky and it appears there will be no clearance issues.... photos to follow later today...

".... photos to follow later today..." Was just about to say.............

Back