***Resolved*** NEW PM-1440HVT-2 Lathe (PM fixed it)

Are the tooth ok?
Yes, they look good. I was expecting to see more metal shavings in the oil but very little considering being brand new. One could say brand new shouldn't have any but I figure there could be some for "break in" period

It’s a simple mechanical transmission. So ether one axle is not straight and it inducing stress the the teeth’s are damaged Nd making noise or the gears are not connecting good to the axle. Or last one of the bearing is damaged.

Have you checked if there is something they might be hitting while on power and marks on the side of the gears cover etc

The used lathe I got the gears are not what you would call connecting good to the axle and wobble a bit and contact the other gears and it is like cats are fighting sometimes and it repetitive. There are signs on them too

can you get some pic of the internal gears and axles which one is delivering the power as from the video is not clear to me.

Well after saving up for many years to get my lathe, after spending $20,000+ to get it, its not working. I've been working for several weeks now with their tech support on this brand new lathe and I feel like they aren't sure what the problem is either. I know there are some pretty smart folks on here that can help us figure out what needs replaced to speed this trial and error up.

When I reach rpm speeds around 700 something starts clanking around in the headstock. My personal (VERY non-educated) guess is there is a small amount of vibration in the spindle (not being centered or damaged) and that vibration gets worse at faster speeds which causes the gears in the headstock to start vibrating.

When I sent the video they wanted me to start changing the parameters on my VDF. (Like I'd have a clue how to do that), then my tech guy said he "talked the other techs" out of messing with the VDF and to send me a sleeve that goes around the gears. No clue what he's talking about. That's where I'm at with my $20,000 purchase.

I'm assuming I'm going to have to be the guy that somehow how to figure out how to do all this repair work on my new machine. Ya, just a little frustrated to say the least. Now that I've accepted the fact that I will either have an expensive paper weight or I have to figure this out on my own. I'm asking anyone out there that can help speed this up for me. Do you think this sleeve he's talking about is the problem? What tests can I do to help figure this out.

(he had me open the headstock and make sure everything was good in there which seemed to be fine)

I uploaded the video on youtube so you can see and hear what it is. Thanks for any help you can give.

In higher rpms it will latch the internal vibration and get them amplified judging from the noise you definitely should have some scoring marks there. Are the tolerances of the gears good enough maybe one is a making a bit more contact then others and on higher rpms it resonates can you check with a piece of paper how is the biting on the paper

Now that I am thinking a bit more. If the gear tooth distance from the other gear tooth is not correct and/ or the gear hole is a bit oversized in relation to the axle it rides on at higher rpm it will make the gear wobble and it might be hitting on the other gear while simultaneously moving together. It might explain the absence of the marks as the teeth’s are hitting each other at higher rpm’s

Or one of the gears might not have the hole in the middle centered and at higher rpm it resonates the noise is big so in my opinion don’t run it as you might brake a tooth it definitely is hitting something and you have no scars anywhere then the gears are hitting each other.

I would be broken hearted too. Even if they stand up and make everything right, something like this should never be sent out. For the the amount of money we're talking about, I would spend less than half as much on old iron and deal with the wear. The bigger bore and short headstock is nice but none of that slowed this country down in the past. I sure hope Matt goes above and beyond to make this right!

Back