***Resolved*** NEW PM-1440HVT-2 Lathe (PM fixed it)

All the teeth look perfect. After messing around with it more I don't know if I can said the noise is coming from there (it is but it isn't). Its the craziest thing. I started thinking that the motor is possibly skipping which is making that vibration come from the gears. I just received an update from PM and I think I'd agree with what they are saying. If I didn't drain that oil and mess around with it more I'd think they were nuts but I'm starting to think it might be the VFD. It almost seems like the motor is skipping out causing this chatter. That could explain the spindle running true but still getting this problem. I ran it with the gear cover off (assuming they won't care since they had me open the back panel to make adjustments on the VFD and my hand was about 3" from 220V) running with the side cover off is child's play to that IMO. I'll upload that video so you can see how it almost seems like the motor is skipping on the drive belt.

Here is their update:
Wanted to update you on this issue. We were able to open up a machine here and check for play in that same gear. We measured around 35 thou of play, which matches what you're seeing in your machine. I've attached a video of that. We then tested that lathe and it's smooth and quiet with no rattle above 700 rpm or anywhere else. That means that gear play is not the problem, and that part of your mechanical assembly is working correctly.
I am reconsidering VFD settings being the issue, and am getting more info from the factory. More info to come when the factory gets back to us.

That makes more sense now that the VFD setting could be causing a chatter that you are hearing, and we will get to the bottom of this ASAP. I am emailing them at the factory again right now for direction, and will get back to you the minute I hear back from them to get this resolved. This is looking like its something minor, but we need to get it taken care of and will work on this to get is resolved ASAP, it has already been too long.

Thanks again for your patience.
Precision Matthews Machinery Co. Technical

Well if is it what I think it is then it’s something that shows up at runtime so short of testing all machinery at different load configs it very difficult to catch.

All the teeth look perfect. After messing around with it more I don't know if I can said the noise is coming from there (it is but it isn't). Its the craziest thing. I started thinking that the motor is possibly skipping which is making that vibration come from the gears. I just received an update from PM and I think I'd agree with what they are saying. If I didn't drain that oil and mess around with it more I'd think they were nuts but I'm starting to think it might be the VFD. It almost seems like the motor is skipping out causing this chatter. That could explain the spindle running true but still getting this problem. I ran it with the gear cover off (assuming they won't care since they had me open the back panel to make adjustments on the VFD and my hand was about 3" from 220V) running with the side cover off is child's play to that IMO. I'll upload that video so you can see how it almost seems like the motor is skipping on the drive belt.

Here is their update:
Wanted to update you on this issue. We were able to open up a machine here and check for play in that same gear. We measured around 35 thou of play, which matches what you're seeing in your machine. I've attached a video of that. We then tested that lathe and it's smooth and quiet with no rattle above 700 rpm or anywhere else. That means that gear play is not the problem, and that part of your mechanical assembly is working correctly.
I am reconsidering VFD settings being the issue, and am getting more info from the factory. More info to come when the factory gets back to us.

That makes more sense now that the VFD setting could be causing a chatter that you are hearing, and we will get to the bottom of this ASAP. I am emailing them at the factory again right now for direction, and will get back to you the minute I hear back from them to get this resolved. This is looking like its something minor, but we need to get it taken care of and will work on this to get is resolved ASAP, it has already been too long.

Thanks again for your patience.
Precision Matthews Machinery Co. Technical
Disconnect the driver belt and try it out. If it's the VFD it will show it.

Disconnect the driver belt and try it out. If it the VFD it will show it.
Thats not a bad idea. I cranked it up in neutral and it seemed to run smooth. Not sure that means anything.

I ran it in real time on the first one and then slow motion on the next 2.

I would be broken hearted too. Even if they stand up and make everything right, something like this should never be sent out. For the the amount of money we're talking about, I would spend less than half as much on old iron and deal with the wear. The bigger bore and short headstock is nice but none of that slowed this country down in the past. I sure hope Matt goes above and beyond to make this right!
HAHA! Very true! but there's that voice in the back of your head that keeps saying how much better technology is now and new is better... UGH!!! Thanks for your kind words

Thats not a bad idea. I cranked it up in neutral and it seemed to run smooth. Not sure that means anything.
So it runs up to full speed in neutral just fine but makes the racket when the spindle is engaged?

So it runs up to full speed in neutral just fine but makes the racket when the spindle is engaged?
Correct. I'm hoping that putting a load on it is what's the difference. I don't know enough about VFD to know if that can matter or not though.

Then it’s the gears from what I can tell. The spindle should not be a lot of load for the vfd to skip. Or it might.

I ran it in real time on the first one and then slow motion on the next 2.
Judging by the way those drive belts are slapping around when the noise is occurring I'm now thinking it is VFD related.

Back