Restoring Jet 1024PY

Ok, looks like 32mm dia, the nut looks like a about a 21mm and pinned on both side Prob taper or something. The keyway on the bottom of it is 6mm and the quill in 7 7/8 long front to back Has a hole in it that I am not sure what it is for, and did not measure it.
Ok looks like it is real good press or something to keep it from moving. I know they used taper pins all over on this thing.
You can see the pins on each side of the nut here.

20180130_194629[1].jpg
Here you can see the keyway and the hole that I am not sure what it is for.
20180130_194651[1].jpg
Here is the taper end
20180130_194704[1].jpg

Here is a pic of the hole looks like a pin could go through it to the other side.
Maybe for holding the MT taper tang.
20180130_194718[1].jpg
The ring area you see just behind my thumb is a small grove that goes round it, It comes out the front of the tail stock just before the screw disengages

Hope this helps..

Edit: mine is the PY but looks to be the same as the P that dat510 posted while I was posting mine.

DAT510 & KVT: Thank you both for the pictures and excellent information. I have great aspirations of making both this part and the bracket that the crossfeet screw and bearing mount in. For a newbie machinist, I may be biting off more that I can handle. Only the future will tell.

Fortunately, I have the resources of the machine shop at the Fresno IdeaWorks maker space to actually make these parts for the lathe.

One more thing to note. The Bushing in the tail stock spindle is Left Hand Treaded.

One more thing to note. The Bushing in the tail stock spindle is Left Hand Treaded.
Thanks for that note. I might have figured that out from the screw, but it is good to know ahead of time.

The keyway on the bottom of it is 6mm and the quill in 7 7/8 long front to back
KVT, You said the quill is 7 7/8 long, while DAT510 shows image with tape measure showing 6 7/8. Can you verify your length? Thanks!

I will check again when I get home.

Ken

Well just checked it out. 6 7/8, can't read my own writing

I continue to try to source parts for the Jet 1024Py. In particular the tailstock sleeve. I keep going back to the current Jet Machine lathes and looking for this part. I cannot beleive that there is a lot of difference between the MT2 sleeve on my machine and the one on the current versions of the similar sized Jet lathes that might be available to purchase. If anyone has a fairly new Jet bench lathe with an MT2 tailstock sleeve (like a 920 or the newer 919), I would be curious about the dimensions of this part: overall length, outside diameter, thread size, keyway size, etc. I am thinking it might be easier to make an oversized piece fit my lathe than trying to make one from scratch. Thanks for any help

Dave, any chance you could measure the crossfeed screw on your Grizzly? Trying to determine if it would fit my Jet. I need overall length, length of threaded portion, and lengths of the various sections that are not threaded. If it is too much trouble don't bother. Thanks.
Dave, I am still looking for some parts for my Jet 1024. Now the issue is that the tailstock sleeve is missing. Could you measure the sleeve in your Grizzly for me? I am wondering if there is any chance that the part for the Grizzly might be the same as the one for my Jet. According to a couple of other post here, the sleeve for my Jet should be 6 7/8 inches or 175mm long and 32mm in diameter with a 2MT. Is that anywhere close to the sleeve in your Grizzly? Thanks

Dave, I am still looking for some parts for my Jet 1024. Now the issue is that the tailstock sleeve is missing. Could you measure the sleeve in your Grizzly for me? I am wondering if there is any chance that the part for the Grizzly might be the same as the one for my Jet. According to a couple of other post here, the sleeve for my Jet should be 6 7/8 inches or 175mm long and 32mm in diameter with a 2MT. Is that anywhere close to the sleeve in your Grizzly? Thanks

I looked at the quill on my Grizzly G9249. Overall dimensions are similar, 6 7/8in long x 32.12mm dia, but the Grizzly has MT3 taper.

Back