Retiring and want to use my shop to help others.

Anyone know or currently does support worthy causes. I would like to use my woodworking and machining skills to help people.
What organizations should I contact? I figure I can help those that have lost limbs, blind, deaf, whatever. I'm hoping it would keep me busy, give me an opportunity to help where people could not afford the service, and allow me to learn new things.

So if you already do this, can you give me a list of who to contact? How do things work? Do they pay for material?

Thanks in advance.
Probably not exactly what you envisioned, but lots of FFA and 4-H students, and often the younger teachers need help with projects. It could range from teaching proper use of common shop tools to building/machining a special part for a project, especially a welding project that needs a hinge or special latch built.

Have you checked with the local doctors offices that do prosthetics?

Have you checked with the local doctors offices that do prosthetics?
No I haven't. I'm pretty sure the local drs, for prosthetics are over an hour away in all directions. I think they would be in the larger areas. also approaching drs might not work. they are not going to risk their license on me. On the other hand the non-profs are all ready dealing with people who can't afford for one reason or another.

Ok, my bad in misunderstanding your intent. To clarify then, you want to do work in your own shop producing something useful to a "client" at little or no cost to them? No training.

If so, then a simple marketing campaign is needed. It would have the same dynamics as starting a business. There will be considerable delay before a client base can be established and I can imagine that such a base would be sparse by definition. If for example one were to go door to door in a dense neighborhood looking for machining or fabrication work, one might not find any. People just don't think that way today. The work you offer is related to repair or custom work and our economy is "disposable" and mass produced. Few people fix things or buy custom. Specialized hobbyists sometimes need custom machining or fabrication, but again, they would be hard to locate and work would be scarce when one did find them. Commercial clients, perhaps overload work for a busy shop, don't fit your vision because of time and volume constraints. So it seems to me that your potential is quite limited, verified by the lack of success you have experienced in promoting it. Perhaps it takes a LOT of time. And patience. Some of the ideas mentioned I thought were pretty neat, but I'm not you, though we are in similar positions. Perhaps an extended definition of "helpful" would clarify a plan.

FYI, I have found that sharing my experience with an "apprentice" for a brief period of time is most rewarding. Taking 60 years of woodworking experience, for example, and condensing it into a six week period showing a 58 year old lady, retired Navy vet, with no woodworking experience how to build a toy box/blanket chest with some sophisticated features using primarily hand tools and no rulers was both challenging and supremely rewarding. She covered the expense of materials, and in the process we became good friends. She came to me because she saw my web page, which no longer exists.

Here's an afterthought, again based on my experience. I got involved with a mechanical music hobbyist who needed a LOT of custom woodworking done. At the same time I noticed the very crude mechanical devices he "engineered". If you can develop relationships with the builders of these devices, and there are a LOT of them in the U.S., then perhaps you can realize your goal. Had we met 30 years later, I would have a rather fully equipped machine shop to address his Rube Goldberg efforts. Another area of experience is to find woodworkers who collect tools and refurbish them. They often encounter a need for custom made replacement parts. e.g.

DanK

Well this is funny, more than a year later I finally received an official rejection letter from Wounded Warrior. I kind of figured that when I didn't hear back and they wanted all this insurance and they hit me up for donations $$$$...
But this is insane. more than a year.
wounded_warrior.jpg

I guess they just want money..

Go build houses with habitat for humanity?

They require the future owners to put in "sweat equity" so you certainly could pass on your woodworking skills to someone who can use them.....maybe even spur them into the trade so they can make a decent living.

Last edited:
I'd also ask the local Boy Scout leadership. Pretty likely they might have some good ideas

Anyone know or currently does support worthy causes. I would like to use my woodworking and machining skills to help people.
What organizations should I contact? I figure I can help those that have lost limbs, blind, deaf, whatever. I'm hoping it would keep me busy, give me an opportunity to help where people could not afford the service, and allow me to learn new things.

So if you already do this, can you give me a list of who to contact? How do things work? Do they pay for material?

Thanks in advance.
You might talk to your local Sea Scout Ship if you have one, they do great things with kids and their boats are generally older and require parts which need to be machined as they are obsolete, I have made a few of these for the ships around these parts..... No pun intended...

Check with your local 4 H club. They are always looking for leaders that can teach kids a sill

This is very late to the thread. I recently learned of an organization that makes simple wood and metal carts for third world leg mobility individuals. I know little about it but very needed. Mobility Worldeide is the organization name. Think you will find it on the internet.

John in Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back