Retiring and want to use my shop to help others.

Not quite what you are thinking but apparently this is what volunteering looks like in the 21st century.

I don't mean to say that wood and metal isn't applicable here, but 3D printers and the internet have converged to create a lot of good. This organization was one of many in a simple google search for "organizations who need volunteers to make prosthetics"
that's really cool. I remember seeing the first 3d hand on the news years ago. It's really advanced right now.

An update:
Months ago I redid my letter. I had a friend/business owner read it. He made some suggestions.
He had worked with a lot of non-profs as a way to make more contacts for his business. He volunteers quite a bit.
He asked me to mail to certain people.
I also hit up the same groups as before but with names of multiple people.

Nothing. I hit up wounded warrior. Nothing. I will say wounded warrior has a terrible website. it's all about insurance / accreditations and corporations, your typing is so small you can't read it. (STUPID). The only responses I got from wounded warrior since they were suggested here was to donate to them, and also that they got my stuff.

I have contacted a lot of different orgs at this point. I thought this would be a lot easier. I would rather here back no we don't need you, but I get nothing. I have emailed, I have snail mailed...

if any of you becomes successful in doing this, please let me know, I need to learn what it is you did that got you recognized.

WOW! I don't know what to make of that except to say I feel your frustration.

I don't know if this has been suggested already. Google "makerspace" and see what pops up near you. Maybe (I would have been more positive except for your story in this thread) they can use mentor type skills to help out.

Sorry for your difficulties.

WOW! I don't know what to make of that except to say I feel your frustration.

I don't know if this has been suggested already. Google "makerspace" and see what pops up near you. Maybe (I would have been more positive except for your story in this thread) they can use mentor type skills to help out.

Sorry for your difficulties.
not looking to help makers, looking to give back to the community and those that need help.

not looking to help makers, looking to give back to the community and those that need help.

I was thinking makers were members of the community and might need help, but you know best.

Some maker spaces offer vocational training, so might be able to use someone with experience. I know my "local" (hour away) maker space was putting together a basic welding class just enough to get an entry level job because the local college welding program has a 1-2 year waitlist.

Up here in Burlington, VT there are several dozen workforce development non-profit organizations.

They tend to pick a very specific horse and stay with it - training women for trades, or people in recovery, troubled youths, prison release workforce training. And then the specialties subdivide again from there based on demographics, industry, specific skills, etc.

Community colleges often have adult education programs that you could be an extension of, taking the "graduating" students to the next level privately. They already have an interest in learning and are probably driven for some reason.

Our local library has learning classes that perhaps you could find a similar program local to you. They are anxious for "teachers" and perhaps the reasonable thing for them to do is list you and your shop as a resource.
DanK

My parents live in the Villages in Florida and my dad is active with an organization that offers handyman services to other retirees. I think it is through their church, but not sure about that. They are out of the country, so can’t ask them. If there is a retirement community near you, they may need something like that.

I found this from AARP, they might have something local to you that might fit what you are looking for.

I am looking to do the work, not train people. I am looking to keep busy, and have fun doing it.
Training people is not necessarily fun.

I am looking to work out of my shop, not go from home to home. Actually here in NJ, there are laws to prevent you from doing any of that unless licensed and insured. We used to have teachers, police, fireman working off hours or summer, the state made it illegal, they must be registered, and insured. If I work from home, machining or wood working I avoid that, and the liablity.

Back