Retiring and want to use my shop to help others.

Yes, Wings is on 611 in Willow Grove at the site of the old Naval Air Station. It is now used by the PA National Guard I understand.

I visit Sky Manor Airport in Pittstown now and then. Maybe we can meet for lunch at the cafe there some time and trade stories.

At the risk of sounding pessimistic, I'm going to guess that you are going to have to join an organization and see for yourself how you can contribute. Most volunteer organizations just aren't going to have the level of coordination to have a list of things they need built. They're going to have more vague needs.

Yes, Wings is on 611 in Willow Grove at the site of the old Naval Air Station. It is now used by the PA National Guard I understand.

I visit Sky Manor Airport in Pittstown now and then. Maybe we can meet for lunch at the cafe there some time and trade stories.
sure, not far from me..5 min.. I live between Sky Manor and Alexandria airport..

Boy Scouts offers merit badges in woodworking, metal working and welding. You might contact your local troop and see if they would like a leader for those badges. But the Scouts will likely require that you undergo their youth protection training, get a police and FBI background check and fingerprinting (all at your expense).

Boy Scouts offers merit badges in woodworking, metal working and welding. You might contact your local troop and see if they would like a leader for those badges. But the Scouts will likely require that you undergo their youth protection training, get a police and FBI background check and fingerprinting (all at your expense).
Thanks, not interested in the boy scouts... looking for people in need, those that can't help themselves.
Those without the means, money, ability..

Let's face it, those with the means don't need help. Those who do need help are usually caught in a system that puts them through the wringer...
Some people get more than they should, others are caught between a rock and a hard place.

With your skill, many elders need their home fixed. Things can be as simple as loose hinge, or loose furniture legs. If you're into more complicated things, rebuild wheel chair can help, but probably always have disclaimers to go with it.

Rebuild warehouse and Habitat humanity sometimes help fixing people property.

For elder, they often want insurance for the work. So word of mouth and reputation helps alot. Maybe start with distance relative, and ask them for reference.

Or maybe build wood rocking chairs and give out for free. It helps alleviate back pain and old age.

Years ago, I asked for experienced and retired people to help me with house remodeling advise on some forum in exchange of money. It appears to be against equal employment policy with respect to age, and was blocked.

Last edited:
looking for people in need, those that can't help themselves.
Those without the means, money, ability..
I would check with VFWs and other veteran organizations. The wounded warriors project was mentioned above. I have a veteran neighbor that needed some home repair but at 70+ he was not in a position to do this himself. A local veteran support group worked over several weeks to complete repairs and upgrades to his home. While this example was basic carpentry, I am sure there are a full range of needs and I can't think of a more deserving group of people than veterans.

I would check with VFWs and other veteran organizations. The wounded warriors project was mentioned above. I have a veteran neighbor that needed some home repair but at 70+ he was not in a position to do this himself. A local veteran support group worked over several weeks to complete repairs and upgrades to his home. While this example was basic carpentry, I am sure there are a full range of needs and I can't think of a more deserving group of people than veterans.
I reached out to 2 different VFW's neither responded.
I am hoping that they keep my info and call / email when they need something, but without a response and no return on phone calls, I think it's a dead end. But you never know. Maybe I don't know the correct knock or password... :)

Not quite what you are thinking but apparently this is what volunteering looks like in the 21st century.

I don't mean to say that wood and metal isn't applicable here, but 3D printers and the internet have converged to create a lot of good. This organization was one of many in a simple google search for "organizations who need volunteers to make prosthetics"

Back