Ripped off on e bay

ebay will tell you to send it back..you will have to eat that shipping...thats the way it works.

ebay will tell you to send it back..you will have to eat that shipping...thats the way it works.

yeah, buts what to say what he is going to pay me.
Is it $175.00 Or is it $175.00 Plus my $50.00 shipping.
I don't see where I should have to eat shipping either way.
He is getting his box back, I am (hopefully) getting my money back, why should I have to loose money sending the box back?

ebay will only give you your bid and original shipping back..this is why i don't bid on items with high shipping.(to return)

- - - Updated - - -

a toolbox like that i would only sell as local pick up only

I don't see where I should have to eat shipping either way.
He is getting his box back, I am (hopefully) getting my money back, why should I have to loose money sending the box back?
ebay will only give you your bid and original shipping back..

It's unfortunate this has happened but unfortunately TOOLMASTER is correct. This subject has been beaten to death for many years on the net. Shipping costs to & from are not required to be refunded. These days, many larger companies like Amazon do offer full shipping refunds as a courtesy to keep their customer base happy. Individuals who sell don't often do but it is really up to the seller.

If a claim is filed though ebay/Paypal if the seller refuses to cooperate, ebay will only refund the purchase price & the shipping. The buyer is required to pay for the return shipping. I know hat may not make sense to you along with millions of other people in the world.

If you went to get food at a restaurant, then got home to check your order & it was incorrect, the restaurant is most likely going to correct your order or refund but they won't pay for the fuel you used to get there & go back. Same as if you drove 100 miles round trip to go buy something & had to return it. Fuel costs is transit costs as is shipping.

If a shipping damage claim is filed through the carrier (by the seller & if it was insured), the carrier will pick up the damaged packaged at no cost to the buyer. If inspected & determined that the damage was caused in shipping & the item was packaged properly, a refund of the insured value & shipping costs will be refunded back to the seller. It is then the seller's responsibility to refund the buyer.

IMHO I'm very leery that the item was packaged sufficiently for an item that size/weight & delicate. Most the time when stuff gets damaged it because it was not packaged sufficiently. Sure we all know carriers are "known" to mishandle packages with instances caught on video but that is not their intention but at the same time they can't treat each an every package as if there was a volatile substance or unprotected fragile contents.

The seller should know better & if they are moral & honest that it was packed insufficiently you should receive a refund. If I were in your shoes & that was the case I would document & try to prove that it was the sellers fault to request the return shipping to be refunded as well.

I wrote him back, said I wanted full refund, plus postage to sent the POS back.
Either that , or send me back $175.00 and I'll keep it.

You're obviously disappointed & rightfully so. I agree with the others, it sure appears to be shipping damage. If it were me, I would want to keep the box & repair it. Gerstner only used mahogany for a very short time (I think only during WW11) & they are kinda' rare. Maybe you could negotiate a fair refund to cover your time? Just a thought & if you can't or don't want to repair it or the seller refuses to be fair, report it to ebay.

David

oh, I didn't even relieze it was mahogany!
I just thought it was Oak that was dirty.................

I'm sending it back. He agreed to send me the full $225.00, plus $20.00 for my shipping back to him.
I have to send it back first, but I called e bay on the phone, they said his money in pay pal was "frozen" and they would make sure I got my money.
They said to not close the case till I had my money, and he had his box back.

most people don't realize sellers don't get their shipping costs back either..

oh, I didn't even relieze it was mahogany!
I just thought it was Oak that was dirty.................

I'm sending it back. He agreed to send me the full $225.00, plus $20.00 for my shipping back to him.
I have to send it back first, but I called e bay on the phone, they said his money in pay pal was "frozen" and they would make sure I got my money.
They said to not close the case till I had my money, and he had his box back.
Good. I'm glad that you got eBay involved. You should be fine now.

Good. I'm glad that you got eBay involved. You should be fine now.

Thanks, I didn't really "escalate" it to e bay yet, but Iwas advised that the money was "frozen, and the e bay would be sure I got my money. I asked about the ~$20.00 the seller promised , and the fellow on the phone said he saw that in the e mails, and "they had ways" to make him pay that too.
I am not 100% sure I will get the extra $20.00, but if I at least get the initial $225.00, I guess it will be OK.
Like I said, e bay told me not to close the case yet.
But it's on the case page, "you can close the case if you and the seller reached a decision" (But you don't have to, actually was advised not to! )

i acquired some chests and found that the felts they'd installed in the 1970s had dissolved to goo. Also, felts in camera lens cases, same thing. well, i guess not related to eBay but I saw mention of felts gone bad and just wanted to throw that in

Back