Ripped off on e bay

OK thanks Guys, No I didn't get too aggressive. There was not foam all around the box, I think he had somebody like going postal pack it.
It could be shipping damage.
We will see what happens.

You can't always tell by the box and packing that it came in when delivered---I bought a bridgeport rotary table and when I opened it up it was missing the calibrated rotation handle and the packaging and contents were all very nice looking---anyway after conversing with the seller back and forth and accepting that he had packed it with everything else--I realized that someone had repackaged everything in another box without the handle and no note that it was repackaged--the seller reported it to the shipper for insurance and they sent me a check for approx 90% of sale and shipping and I got to keep the nice BP rotary table --I just have to make a calibrated handle for it--so trust the seller and realize that someone in the shipping process knew what had happened---Dave :))

i acquired some chests and found that the felts they'd installed in the 1970s had dissolved to goo. Also, felts in camera lens cases, same thing. well, i guess not related to eBay but I saw mention of felts gone bad and just wanted to throw that in

what are you glueing your felt in with?

I might have to escalate this to e bay. The other day he said he would send the $225.00 that is $175.00 & $50 shipping I had initially paid. And he said it really only cost him $20.00 to ship. I was OK with that, I had agreed on the $175.00 & $50.00 shipping/handling. So I asked him the other day, So your gonna send $225.00 plus another $20.00? Instead of just saying "Yes" he said "sounds good to me" I asked for his full name and address. He sent that. So I wrote back

Your message to the seller:

"OK, Thanks, just so we are clear, when You receive the box back, you will refund $225.00, plus $20.00 toward shipping back to you? Will have to ship tomorrow. Going postal "Might" be open today, I'll have to call them. Thanks, Tony"
I am
just wanting this to be on the "paper Trail" (conversations between us on the e bay open case page) And I was wanting him to just say "YES" instead of him hawing around. Well so far he has not written back, and this was early this AM when I wrote him.
Almost seems like he is not answering on purpose. Figures I'll just ship it back, E bay will un freeze his money, and issue it to me, And sounds like he'll say "see Y'a" about the other $20.00.
So If I don't get a Clear "Yes" to my last question, I will escalate it to e bay. I don't know if people think buyers are stupid or something?
One thing I have always been is perceptive.

You might PRACTICE on spraying the back side of some felt with spray can adhesive and sticking the felt down with that.3M makes that type of aerosol rubbery,rather contact type adhesive. I have covered a couple of guitar amplifier cabinets with cloth that I glued on like that. It says for a permanent bond,spray BOTH surfaces,if I recall correctly. You want to paper over and mask off anything in the vicinity that you don't want the sticky stuff settling on. It is a great way to get contact type cement on EVENLY. Anything uneven will show right through the felt,too.

I have made high quality pistol cases lined with wool broadcloth (pool table cloth) by just using white glue brushed onto the wood. Pool table cloth does not let the glue show through the other side. I would NOT try that with regular old,cheap felt. I never use the ordinary,cheap felt. Invest in the good stuff. Too much labor in a decent project to use the cheap stuff.

what are you glueing your felt in with?

I might have to escalate this to e bay. The other day he said he would send the $225.00 that is $175.00 & $50 shipping I had initially paid. And he said it really only cost him $20.00 to ship. I was OK with that, I had agreed on the $175.00 & $50.00 shipping/handling. So I asked him the other day, So your gonna send $225.00 plus another $20.00? Instead of just saying "Yes" he said "sounds good to me" I asked for his full name and address. He sent that. So I wrote back

"OK, Thanks, just so we are clear, when You receive the box back, you will refund $225.00, plus $20.00 toward shipping back to you? Will have to ship tomorrow. Going postal "Might" be open today, I'll have to call them. Thanks, Tony"
I am
just wanting this to be on the "paper Trail" (conversations between us on the e bay open case page) And I was wanting him to just say "YES" instead of him hawing around. Well so far he has not written back, and this was early this AM when I wrote him.
Almost seems like he is not answering on purpose. Figures I'll just ship it back, E bay will un freeze his money, and issue it to me, And sounds like he'll say "see Y'a" about the other $20.00.
So If I don't get a Clear "Yes" to my last question, I will escalate it to e bay. I don't know if people think buyers are stupid or something?
One thing I have always been is perceptive.

Why is this font so hard for it to stay big?
I even set it in settings to 4.
Oh well the hell with it. I'll keep it small. It's just easier on old eyes. Ill highlight it and make it bigger in the end.
Don't you all think it's easier to read on 3 0r 4?

Anyways, I wrote,
Your message to the seller:"Sounds like your purposely not answering me? When I asked you before, instead of saying "Yes" You said "sounds good to me" I would appreciate a straight answer. Now Again............................. " just so we are clear, when You receive the box back, you will refund $225.00, plus $20.00 toward the shipping back to you? Will have to ship tomorrow.""
He writes,

"You seem paranoid. That is what we agreed to already. I told you I would do that and I will as soon as it gets here."
So I wrote back,
Thank You, I ain't paranoid, I just wanted a straight answer. Just trying to protect my investment. OK then, I will ship tomorrow. "

- - - Updated - - -

You might PRACTICE on spraying the back side of some felt with spray can adhesive and sticking the felt down with that.3M makes that type of aerosol rubbery,rather contact type adhesive. I have covered a couple of guitar amplifier cabinets with cloth that I glued on like that. It says for a permanent bond,spray BOTH surfaces,if I recall correctly. You want to paper over and mask off anything in the vicinity that you don't want the sticky stuff settling on. It is a great way to get contact type cement on EVENLY. Anything uneven will show right through the felt,too.

I have made high quality pistol cases lined with wool broadcloth (pool table cloth) by just using white glue brushed onto the wood. Pool table cloth does not let the glue show through the other side. I would NOT try that with regular old,cheap felt. I never use the ordinary,cheap felt. Invest in the good stuff. Too much labor in a decent project to use the cheap stuff.

I have felt from gerstner. and I think I brought some from machinistchest.com.
I have used white glue on a box about 10 years ago.
It was felt from a fabric shop.
It looked good though.
I think I am gonna re-felt the whole box on this union I am working on.

I want to try to make the union drawer pull.
I have an arbor press.
How can I make a die or something to form the brass into? that will form the cup?
I will be using brass stock.

The last Gerstner Chest I bought, I specifically told the seller how I wanted it packed. The chest wrapped in 2" of bubble wrap and placed in a heavy cardboard box with 4" of stuffing around the wrapped chest. I also told him to let me know how much more I owed him on all the extra expense. A shocking $50 on top of the $20 earlier sent. I will say, it arrived undamaged. Shipping box looked like it rolled off of a mountain but the chest was undamaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you get a tracking number when you return it and upload the tracking info to your eBay claim.

If you have to spend $50 for packing materials, consider a large ice chest from a big box store. I shipped a motorcycle engine in a giant $48 cooler, packing around it with rolls of paper towels. Duct tape for closing it up, a plasticized address label inside and out. At 91 lbs it did fine. The cooler had a handle and wheels for the driver. The mechanic said he never insured them- and never lost one. I didn't bother.

i think you should file a claim with shipping company , and ebay both cover all bases . just looking at pic if you lived closer i would repair that in a heart beat . i have do lots of repairs and matched 200 year old old church items . finding wood is the toughest part of the job .

Anyways, I wrote, Your message to the seller:"Sounds like your purposely not answering me? When I asked you before, instead of saying "Yes" You said "sounds good to me" I would appreciate a straight answer. Now Again............................. " just so we are clear, when You receive the box back, you will refund $225.00, plus $20.00 toward the shipping back to you? Will have to ship tomorrow.""
He writes,

"You seem paranoid. That is what we agreed to already. I told you I would do that and I will as soon as it gets here."
So I wrote back,
Thank You, I ain't paranoid, I just wanted a straight answer. Just trying to protect my investment. OK then, I will ship tomorrow. "

Well, this was great.

"I didn't think I'd be able to ship that for No $20.00. $32.80 is what it cost me. See photo below. I'll send tracking # when I get it. "

"Photo 15. You ought to be able to get a claim from Fed Ex for the initial damage. "

"Shipping Manager of Goin Postal sent XXXX X XXXXXXX 1 FedEx Home Delivery package(s). Status: Picked up Tracking number: 971001015042114"

Refund information:
A full refund of $225.00 was issued on Feb 18, 2014. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping and was issued to your PayPal account. Please log in to PayPal and view the History page if you don't see it in your PayPal balance.

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Feb 18, 2014 Refund From XXXXX CompletedDetails Refund From XXXX XXXXXXX6R670121U5029351W$225.00 USD

<tbody>
</tbody>

Feb 18, 2014 Payment From XXXXXCompletedDetails Payment From XXXXX XXXXX2W482898GW864471N$32.80 USD

<tbody>
</tbody>

Back