seized spindle bearings

I know its under the speed plate but it wont be a weekly job.

Would a short extension to bring the nipple out through the speed plate be a possibility?
If it were me, having to remove the plate to get at the grease fittings would be a deterant.

On second thought, using an elbow and running an extension up through to the top would be cleaner.

Last edited:
It works, first job, 4 small screws for the front thread plate and one longer one with a locking nut to go on the new cross slide dial when I get that finished.
brass-screws.jpg
I've been so used to knurling stainless that I used a bit too much pressure on these so they are not as clean as they should be.
The threads are M4x0.7

It works, first job, 4 small screws for the front thread plate and one longer one with a locking nut to go on the new cross slide dial when I get that finished.

I've been so used to knurling stainless that I used a bit too much pressure on these so they are not as clean as they should be.
The threads are M4x0.7
Kiss them lightly with a fine file or 220/320 taped to a block and they'll look good.
On those brass tubes I was reworking we didn't know the grade/type. One piece the pressure would be fine next piece I'd end up with your results.

Thanks for the PDF TomS and for every ones input. I am replacing the headstock bearings on my L158 (Australian version of the G4000) 9x20 and found the information on this thread very useful.

Back