Shapers, what happened?

Shapers do pop up, but not nearly with the frequency of vintage lathes and mills. Even horizontal mills which seem to have suffered from a similar "useless" tag, turn up far more often than shapers.
+1, all true. What’s interesting is how they do surface in often unexpected places and times. Often more than jus one.

There is nobody who’s middle of the road. Either you like the whole idea or just think it’s weird and obsolete. It does seem appropriate to make model engines with a shaper so they seem made for hobbyists. For me it was strictly a purchase of opportunity as it was so cheap but it also fits with my cheap ways as most of what I repurpose is rusty and corroded. I love the fact I can clean up this stuff up with just a regular HSS bit and don’t have buy special tooling.

And like the shaper I’m slow too.

I've looked at some of the kit plans that are advertised on ebay but my concern is weight! I think because of all the inertia generated by the head going back and forth will there be enough weight overall to a steel machine to mitigate all that movement? Would it still give the same finish quality as a big heavy cast iron machine?
Weight is absolutely a shapers friend. The inertia generated by that ram is enormous. My 24 inch Cincinnati isn’t bolted to the floor as I have heated floor and I can’t run it over 36 strokes per minute or it starts to walk backwards. And it’s set on tarpaper which usually sticks machines down pretty good. 8500 lbs hoppin on the floor is pretty scary. I’ve got a steel plate that is going to get epoxied to the concrete under the full footprint so it can be bolted to the shaper. So if you are building one make the base really heavy !!

Also don't forget overseas markets. Machining as a hobby gained worldwide popularity. Almost every industrial region in the world made lathes and mills, but the same is usually not true about shapers. This IMO puts them in the same availability category as jig borers. They're usually imports. (in EU, from Germany, in other countries it might make more sense to get them from USA).

When I became interested in it (7~8 years ago) machining as a hobby was quite rare here in Poland. I bought lots of locally made stuff cheaper than the cost of scrap(that was pretty cheap too back then). I got lots of old NOS tooling people would sell for next to nothing because they considered it almost worthless "grandpa stuff". I also found lots of good deals on ebay and I imported stuff from US, Germany etc.

This all changed with increased popularity of machining youtube channels (including local ones). 2 years ago I still regularly found good deals despite there being lots of people that caught up to the value of this stuff (good looking stuff was already expensive, anything with paint peeling off was often cheap).

These days... Stuff is so expensive it's unbelievable anyone would pay such prices. Often items that look like they're in very poor condition (dividing heads missing cranks, chucks, half broken) have very high asking prices.

Weight is absolutely a shapers friend. The inertia generated by that ram is enormous. My 24 inch Cincinnati isn’t bolted to the floor as I have heated floor and I can’t run it over 36 strokes per minute or it starts to walk backwards. And it’s set on tarpaper which usually sticks machines down pretty good. 8500 lbs hoppin on the floor is pretty scary. I’ve got a steel plate that is going to get epoxied to the concrete under the full footprint so it can be bolted to the shaper. So if you are building one make the base really heavy !!
The acceleration is the culprit. Once the ram has achieved a constant speed, there would be no external forces generated. With electronic motion control, the acceleration could be limited which should control any tendency to walk.

I guess it’s the dinosaur in me, but I can’t imagine a purely electronic/hydraulic mechanism being as brutally efficient as a purely mechanical shaper. We’re the larger shapers like Cincinnati all hydraulic?

I'm in the same situation, heated floors in the shop. I like the idea of the metal plate glued down, Where I have my horizontal mill the floor isn't real flat and I have to shim it a little it's only a 2ML but sits around 5500 lbs. I was thinking about building a form and pouring some self-leveling epoxy machinery grout with anchor bolts, when I do find a shaper I'll probably do the same. With the cost of steel now days I think I could probably buy quite a few bags of specialty grout for less then a sheet of 1/2-5/8 steel.

Also don't forget overseas markets. Machining as a hobby gained worldwide popularity. Almost every industrial region in the world made lathes and mills, but the same is usually not true about shapers. This IMO puts them in the same availability category as jig borers. They're usually imports. (in EU, from Germany, in other countries it might make more sense to get them from USA).

When I became interested in it (7~8 years ago) machining as a hobby was quite rare here in Poland. I bought lots of locally made stuff cheaper than the cost of scrap(that was pretty cheap too back then). I got lots of old NOS tooling people would sell for next to nothing because they considered it almost worthless "grandpa stuff". I also found lots of good deals on ebay and I imported stuff from US, Germany etc.

This all changed with increased popularity of machining youtube channels (including local ones). 2 years ago I still regularly found good deals despite there being lots of people that caught up to the value of this stuff (good looking stuff was already expensive, anything with paint peeling off was often cheap).

These days... Stuff is so expensive it's unbelievable anyone would pay such prices. Often items that look like they're in very poor condition (dividing heads missing cranks, chucks, half broken) have very high asking prices.
Ya, don't get me started on dividing heads! People are asking as much for old American made dividing head then what I paid for my LaBlond lathe!

I guess it’s the dinosaur in me, but I can’t imagine a purely electronic/hydraulic mechanism being as brutally efficient as a purely mechanical shaper. We’re the larger shapers like Cincinnati all hydraulic?
My shaper is a Hydraulic one, they were pretty popular for the larger ones IIRC.

My shaper is a Hydraulic one, they were pretty popular for the larger ones IIRC.
so when you say hydraulic, that's what moves the ram back and forth, not a scotch yoke?

so when you say hydraulic, that's what moves the ram back and forth, not a scotch yoke?
Yep, exactly! It has a hydraulic piston that pushes the ram back and forth.

Back