Shapers, what happened?

While cool, to me this points up the problem with hydraulic. Look how long that housing is. It has to be way longer than a scotch yoke to accommodate the travel hydraulically. Lots of “wasted” length as i think you need to stay in the middle of the ram travel in order to be able to potentially be able to go to accommodate full length travel in stroke and retract. love the idea of the whole ram essentially being bearing area.

While cool, to me this points up the problem with hydraulic. Look how long that housing is. It has to be way longer than a scotch yoke to accommodate the travel hydraulically. Lots of “wasted” length as i think you need to stay in the middle of the ram travel in order to be able to potentially be able to go to accommodate full length travel in stroke and retract. love the idea of the whole ram essentially being bearing area.
But it isn't hydraulic on the ram, it's a multi start screw, it's true that it is long for sure. I just think that the mechanics with all the transmission and control stuff could be simplified in todays world. And could be shorter without all the gearing out backend.
cutaway of XM-1.jpg

A weldment can be structured to be lighter than a casting and can often exploit higher strength materials. Certain welding designs can have much higher damping than cast, especially ones with a damping material layer bonded between an inner and outer steel part.

On the stroke vs machine dimension side, a rack drive is probably as space efficient as you can manage. Sneaky would be to partially balance it with an internal, dense sliding part that moved the opposite direction. You'd still have a couple left (unless you used a pair of balance bars above and below the ram), but you could compensate the big acceleration.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

I've been a shaper nut for about 17 or 18 years now. I've owned 7 shapers that ranged in stroke for 4 to 24 inches and still own 4 of them. I also own 3 planers. The early planers and shapers had a variety of drive systems including Scotch yoke, Whitworth quick return (which became the only drive on mechanical shapers in the 20th century), rack and pinion, screw drive and hydraulic. The rack and pinion and screw drives were belt jumpers, where the belt was moved from one pulley to another to change direction. Rockford was the company that did hydraulic shapers and planers. As for the shaper moving problem, the 24" Cincinnati that I bought had a rolling subframe built for it with screw jacks built onto the corners. I made 3" square plates for the screws to fit into with divots for the screws to set in. I also put a knurl on the bottom side of them using one of my other shapers. It will run at the recommended speeds for the machine without moving. It also went through a 7.1 earthquake and didn't move. Some of the heavy items I had on rubber feet did move during the earthquake. I bought my shapers back before they got really expensive. My advice if you want a larger shaper is to get one as modern as possible. A lot of the older (think 1920 or so and older) have square ways on the ram and are probably worn with no way to easily adjust for it. Another reason to look for modern shapers is that they often come with power rapid crossfeed, which makes them a dream to run. Once you've cranked the table across a large shaper a few time, this amenity is much appreciated. Power table raise/lower is also available on some modern machines. I purchased my shapers back before they got this expensive. I sold the two antique machines for little more than I paid for them and recently sold the Atlas 7b for 3 times what I paid for it. I don't currently plan to sell any of the remainder (I havn't even finished machining the Martin Strong Arm), so their current worth is not a huge concern. I think the steady uptick in price is simply supply and demand. Certainly Abom helped out with the demand, but small shapers were pretty high before that. Unless you want to start importing Chinese shapers, the supply is limited and and the demand has grown. They still make new shapers in China and India as there is still a comercial market in countries with much lower labor costs. I think there was a post either here or the site that only allows shapers and planers in their antique machine forums of one of the members visiting Vietnam and seeing shapers in use in small repair shops. That's enough rambling for now.

I've got a large one sitting in the corner getting ready for scrap. She's a biggin. The large ones don't seem to be sought after for obvious reasons.

I found this on CL yesterday. I have been losing sleep ever since. Vancouver is easy, borrowing a truck and getting there today is not...:weight:

@DavidR8, would you mind holding this for me until I can pick it up? :laughing:

I found this on CL yesterday. I have been losing sleep ever since. Vancouver is easy, borrowing a truck and getting there today is not...:weight:

@DavidR8, would you mind holding this for me until I can pick it up? :laughing:

Nice.
A small vise for a mill would do the job.
Grab it!!

Back