Shapers, what happened?

I bought an Atlas 7" shaper in 2003 for what I thought was crazy money, $400.00. Sold it in 2009 for the same money. Who knew.

Ammco shaper any good?
Even though the they are advertised as a 7" shaper, they look like a toy compared to an Atlas. I'm sure they are a good shaper, though, regardless of their comparative size.

Are there good plans around for a 7” shaper vise?

I ask because I could probably try to get some detailed pictures and bad drawings of the one on my Atlas 7B, but hopefully it’s already covered?

I ask because I could probably try to get some detailed pictures and bad drawings of the one on my Atlas 7B, but hopefully it’s already covered?
I'd looked at one point, and never found any good ones.

There was a post with some plans for a DIY shaper vise. I'm not finding it at the moment but here is one with the specs for an Ammco shaper vise that might be helpful.

At the bottom of the thread

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/vise-for-a-aamco-shaper.77929/#post-661211

I picked up an old Rhodes 7" belt driven shaper. I've only used it a couple of times. It's been converted to electric motor. But it's old and needs some repairs to the Jibs. Anyway, when I get my shop settled, It's on the TO-Do list. That list is monumental.

I have a 8” Rhodes with its original vise. Maybe I ought to reverse engineer it and draw it up in solid works if there’s enough interest. Thoughts?
I think so. The Ammco vise is kind of crappy seeming, and uses the center pin as a necessary feature, so it isn't great for all the shapers. I've been tempted to draw up my BIG shaper vise in free-cad and see if I can scale it down, but if a GOOD 7/8" shaper vise exists, a good drawing would be great!

I know the Atlas one is pretty terrible as well, so hopefully the Rhodes is a nice one.

Here’s a couple pictures. It’s a decent vise. Pretty low profile for a swivel. 5” wide jaws and 5” opening
A4A39D1A-CB91-491A-A2FC-9B28A673E4BE.jpeg
6C8E7CA7-0074-451C-A714-B6DC269FA012.jpeg
40227409-7D00-4F23-A12E-9EE58E664DEF.jpeg

Back