Shapers, what happened?

Nice.
A small vise for a mill would do the job.
Grab it!!
On my Atlas, I ended up picking up a cheap 3 or 4" import vise with the swivel base, then used my machines to 'thin it out' as much as I possibly could, though it ended up being pretty awful (and too tall!).

When I got rid of that one, I was looking to try to take an existing vise design and make one, but I never got around to it. The vise on my 28" machine is pretty awesome, and if I were in need, I'd probably scale that one down.

I don't know if it is a matter that many were sold without a vise, or the vises got repurposed and separated from the machine, but it sure feels like there is one vise for every 3 or 4 shapers. The lack of belt guards I at least understand, they seem to have been a superfluous expense for the accident prone as open belts were acceptable until well after shapers were past their prime.

I found this on CL yesterday. I have been losing sleep ever since. Vancouver is easy, borrowing a truck and getting there today is not...:weight:

@DavidR8, would you mind holding this for me until I can pick it up? :laughing:

Sure no problem ;)

I don't know if it is a matter that many were sold without a vise, or the vises got repurposed and separated from the machine, but it sure feels like there is one vise for every 3 or 4 shapers. The lack of belt guards I at least understand, they seem to have been a superfluous expense for the accident prone as open belts were acceptable until well after shapers were past their prime.
There are actually a bunch of the atlases that were sold without the belt guard, I think only 'B" models got them?

As far as the vise, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a mix of all of those things. For the smaller machines my understanding is that the vises are pretty junky, so I wouldn't discount "broke due to use/age".

Well, *if* I had a 10" shaper (@DavidR8), the very first thing I would make would be a new tool. Then I could share my work with others who like tools that make tools. Man, if only I could find a small shaper for under $500... (@DavidR8).

s-l500 (1).jpg

There are actually a bunch of the atlases that were sold without the belt guard, I think only 'B" models got them?

As far as the vise, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a mix of all of those things. For the smaller machines my understanding is that the vises are pretty junky, so I wouldn't discount "broke due to use/age".

Yeah, I understand the guards were an add on option, and mostly ordered for machines going to high schools, or the few states that had stronger worker safety laws.

OSHA didn't exist until the early 70s, well after shapers had fallen out of favor.

At one point in time, shapers were production machines, so may of them may have been bought to use jigs to hold work. That being said, I've also seen sellers sell the vise seperately to try to maximize profit. A shaper vise really isn't much use with out a shaper, they don't make great milling vises.

more plans

Back