Shars vs discount_machine

Yes, it is a bit hard to understand their continuing eBay presence with better than website or catalog prices - plus the hit from eBay fees.

I am guessing they get a lot of exposure and sell a lot of product through eBay and the tradeoff is worth it. It is much easier to comparison shop on eBay and that could send them a lot more business than trying to figure out how to reach their target market cost effectively. That's the biggest challenge nowadays unless you have unlimited advertising dollars to throw at something.

I am surprised they don't harvest the email addresses from their eBay sales and market directly to their new found customers with eBay prices and bypass the eBay fees - but there must be a reason, they're not stupid.

That said I've been happy with all my Shars purchases on eBay and encourage them to stay right there with their current price points.

YMMV and all that,

Stu

I am surprised they don't harvest the email addresses from their eBay sales and market directly to their new found customers with eBay prices and bypass the eBay fees - but there must be a reason, they're not stupid.

One reason is cause they can't obtain a buyer's contact info through ebay. Ebay now hides it all, both for the seller & buyer. The paypal transaction for the ebay purchase will also have contact info hidden. Ebay also scans messages & listings for this as it's against their policy.

During my busy season at work, I loaded up on Shars metrology equipment. Months later, when I finally got to using it, I was beyond horrified about how poor the quality is.

Shars products look great in photos and are very affordable, but it is Made in China junk. About a third of the things that I bought are completely useless.

I would suggest looking online for deals on quality used equipment.

It's like walking into horrible freight; there are a lot of things they can't screw up, and there are a lot of things they will always screw up. Cheap dial indicators are great, deburring tools, etc. I wouldn't want to buy a set of gage blocks or a tenths indicator.

It's like walking into horrible freight; there are a lot of things they can't screw up, and there are a lot of things they will always screw up. Cheap dial indicators are great, deburring tools, etc. I wouldn't want to buy a set of gage blocks or a tenths indicator.

After buying all that stuff from Shars, I now run as soon as I see Made in China.

Not everything made in China is junk. They'll make junk if the customer only wants to pay for junk to be produced. USA makes their share of crap quality products too as does many other countries. You get what you pay for.

I have bought directly from Shars and off Ebay. I have been satisfied with what I have bought from them and will continue to buy from them in the future. I do shop when I am looking for something. The only place that I never buy from is Amazon for a variety of reasons.

Not everything made in China is junk. They'll make junk if the customer only wants to pay for junk to be produced. USA makes their share of crap quality products too as does many other countries. You get what you pay for.

I spent about $3,000 on Shars products, and I am convinced that they “want to pay for junk to be produced”.

Obviously, this is just my opinion. I do use the Shars stuff for roughing and as beaters.

Ok, now I must ask, why did you spend so much before deciding that it was all garbage? Was it several very large ticket items, or a cubic butt ton of the usual consumables?

Back